New earbuds for my MP3 player. What are you guy's using?

Super 8

• Members

Well, it's time for some new buds. My $20 Koss Plugs have served me reasonably for the past couple of years, and I would recommend them if you want good isolation, good, bass, and only want to spend 20 bucks. But I lost one of the foam pieces, and I've been ready to upgrade anyway.

Here's what I'm considering:

shure se110 These are new, I don't think you can buy them until later this month.

Ultimate Ears Metrofi 2 or maybe the Superfi 3's.

Any suggestions? What are you using?

• Members

I usually pick something up at the 99 Cents Store. They usually have both stand-alone ear buds, or a package of ear buds with an FM scanning radio, either for 99 cents. :eek: But I only use them for listening to talk radio while dozing off. I'm not very discerning when it comes to using a portable player, to say the least.

• Members

I'm currently using Shure EC3's. They are expensive, and after only 6 months of careful ownership I've noticed that the left channel is having a problem where the output is much softer than the other channel :mad:. I need to get a hold of Shure to look at getting them replaced. Otherwise, I have really enjoyed them and find them to sound very neutral. They are also very comfortable and come with a huge assortment of different sized earbuds.

• Members

I am using M-AUDIO's (Ultimate Ears) IE-30. I Likes. Nice!

Okay, if you could score me a mondo employee discount, we could talk.

I am leaning towards the Ultimate Ears Superfi 3 Studio. They seem like a decent price/performance point. The temptation to spend over $150 on a sent of phones is there, but considering the intended use I'm not sure it's really worth it. I also like that the Ultimate Ears cables are user-replaceable. Seems like a good idea.

• Members

When I MUST use earbuds, like at school or any other public place, I use the regular buds that came with my Sony cell phone. They're not bad! When I'm listening at home I use my Grado headphones. These phones are very efficient, sound absolutely fab, and work well with small, portable, devices. I'm interested in finding any earbuds that are worth using, though. That's the reason for my reply (bump!).

• Members

I have UE super fi 5's and I'm always amazed when I listen with them.

Isolation is great (I can't even hear my window AC unit running at full blast) and the sound quality is great too. I run my ipod at less than half volume now, when I used to run the stock apple ear buds at 75-85% volume.

One word of caution: if your library is all low bit rate MP3s you WILL hear the flaws in the audio like never before. Good news is, you will also hear things in your music that you've never heard before...

the best way i can describe it is: imagine listening to birds or crickets or something from inside your house, and then going outside to listen. the whole sound stage just comes alive :)

• Members

Alright, now you're making it tough on me. The Superfi 5's are about $150 at Amazon. I was initially prepared to spend maybe $120. Then I saw I could get the UE Superfi 3 Studio for around 70-80 bucks, so I was pleased to see that I could save some money for nice phones. Now you come along talking up the Superfi 5's at just $25 dollars more than I was planning to go. Hmmmmm... decisions, decision....:confused:

• Members

the best way i can describe it is: imagine listening to birds or crickets or something from inside your house, and then going outside to listen. the whole sound stage just comes alive
:)

I'd like something like that.

I currently use the same light weight phones you'd get with old school Walkman cassette players. They're superior to the ear buds included with most MP3 players without spending a lot. And you can also hear sounds around you if necessary.

• Members

I've been using for the last year or so the Etymotic Research ER-6i Isolater in-ears. You can usually find them for under $100 and they do sound very good. I live in NYC and take the subway a lot so plugs that can totally block out the outside world are of high value to me. That said, I'm on my third set, as the jack's shorted out on the prior two. They were replaced under warranty and Etymotic were totally cool about it, but it was still a drag. And I'm pretty easy on my gear, too, so I don't know what was up with that.

• Members

I've been mucking about with this lately.

I have:

Sony fantopias

Sony ericson phone stock

Shure E4

Sennheiser CX300s

Future sonics Atrios

The fantopias give a balanced sound with OK definition, bar that they lack low extension, and are quite sibilant. An important non-sound point: I dont use them any more because A. I have better ones and more importantly B. the cladding on the cable absorbs sweat and grease from your skin, so if you use the asymetry of the cable to hang them round the back of your neck (as I did) you find the cladding becomes gelatinous and picks up clothes fibres really easily, then comes off completely with very little effort (i.e when you dont expect it!).

The sony ericsons are suprisingly good, but bass heavy and lacking sparkle in the treble. Very impressive for something that came with a moblile phone. Not really remarkable in the grand scheme, but you would probably find these phones at about the

• Members

I am using M-AUDIO's (Ultimate Ears) IE-30. I Likes. Nice!

Okay, I'm looking at the IE-10's for 100 bucks. Have you had a listen to them? What do you think? What's parallel product in the Ultimate Ears product line to the IE-30 and IE-10?

I'm a little frustrated with this process because I'm seeing all of these cool phones like Ultimate Ears and Future Sonics, but apparently nobody around here sells them. Guitar Center has M-Audio, and that's it. Of course, I don't actually get to try before I buy there either, so I have to go completely on recommendation, which sucks. The only real advantage I see with Guitar Center is that if I have a problem I can go there and talk to a person.

• Members

You may find this usefull for comparing quantitave characteristics.

Its not the full picture, of course, but if you have a couple of references that you know the sound of then you can get an idea of the responses, isolation, THD and impedence from this.

http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=201&graphID%5B1%5D=189&graphID%5B2%5D=609&graphID%5B3%5D=603&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

• Members

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3

This chart really has me looking at the Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 pro's again. I had been about to pick up the M-Audio equivalent of the Superfi 3 Studio's. I'm no expert with graphs, but I like the bass response I'm seeing from the Pro's.

I can get a set of the Superfi 3's for about 70 bucks online, or $100 for M-Audio's at the local Guitar Center. I can get the Superfi 5's (as long as they're white) from Amazon for about $150.

I hadn't really planned on spending quite that much, but if they are significantly nicer than the Superfi 3's, it might be worth it to for me to spend the extra money. Or is it overkill???

I'm torn.

• Members

I'm on my 3rd or 4th pair of ear buds at this point. I avoid using any of the ear buds that are labeled as "isolating". I use my iPod at work and need to be able to hear external sound with relative ease. Currently I'm using a pair of cheap Philips earbuds that are OK. I've also used the JVC "Gummy" ear buds as well (also cheap). When I want better quality - I grab my Shure E2 buds and use those (of course this puts me on the wrong side of the neoprene divide so I never use them at work).

• Members

=627>

This chart really has me looking at the Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 pro's again. I had been about to pick up the M-Audio equivalent of the Superfi 3 Studio's. I'm no expert with graphs, but I like the bass response I'm seeing from the Pro's.

I can get a set of the Superfi 3's for about 70 bucks online, or $100 for M-Audio's at the local Guitar Center. I can get the Superfi 5's (as long as they're white) from Amazon for about $150.

I hadn't really planned on spending quite that much, but if they are significantly nicer than the Superfi 3's, it might be worth it to for me to spend the extra money. Or is it overkill???

I'm torn.

I dont know what either of those sound like, in full, but given those EQs, if you listen to anything heavy or hard-hitting a low end less than the E4s (i.e superfi 3s) will severely dissapoint you (as the E4s did me). The superfi 5s follow a similar line to my HD25s, which I love the balance of: enough kick and low extension for heaviness, while it being just enough to give warmth to acoustic music and classical.

They look like they're in a really good EQ spectra (for my money at least).

I also noticed that the Shure E2s have a very similar response. Obviously the sound is very unlikely to be as defined or seperated, and you run the risk of distortion mud and sibilance with the cheaper phone, but it may well do you.

• Members

JVC HA-FX33

Price was decent. Nice bass response and best of all, they feature a soft earbud. The material is similar to the sound blockers that you put in your ear and mold to the ear canal. My ears were constantly getting sore from all of those hard plastic units. Also, the tight seal on these help enhance the bass response by eliminating sound leakage.

• Members

I dont know what either of those sound like, in full, but given those EQs, if you listen to anything heavy or hard-hitting a low end less than the E4s (i.e superfi 3s) will severely dissapoint you (as the E4s did me). The superfi 5s follow a similar line to my HD25s, which I love the balance of: enough kick and low extension for heaviness, while it being just enough to give warmth to acoustic music and classical.

Yeah, that's kinda my thought. I'm a drummer. I like my thumpthump. I'm kind of choking at the price, although the Superfi 5 Pro's are $100 cheaper online than their M-Audio equivalent at Guitar Center. But, I'd rather spend the $150 and get something I'm going to really like than spend $70 and be disappointed. So, I might just bite the bullet and order me a set.

I'm a little surprised this thread hasn't generated more interest, but I appreciate the help I've gotten.

• Members

Well, I still recommend, wholeheartedly and without reservation, future sonics Atrios.

Drums sound fantastic on them. And they're cheaper than superfi 5s.

There has to be an internet order service for them somwhere. Try the FS website? (and read a few reviews!)

• Members

Well, I still recommend, wholeheartedly and without reservation, future sonics Atrios.

I did look at the Atrios, but I had a difficult time finding anyone who sold them other than the Future Sonic website. The best price I found was still about $10 more than the Superfi 5 Pros. I wound up ordering the Superfi 5's. They'll be here in 5-7. I'll make sure and post my thoughts.

Thanks!:thu:

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I wound up ordering the Superfi 5's. They'll be here in 5-7.

Well, it's been 4 years and I figure it's time for an update.

The Superfi's did indeed sound great, though getting them to fit and stay in could sometimes be a bit bothersome. This past spring the cord broke, so I had to purchase a replacement cord which, in total, cost me $32.00. A bit steep I thought but what-are-ya-gonna-do? This summer I went to use them and discovered that the bass driver, for no apparent reason, on the left side was no longer functioning. So, there goes my $150 earphones. The replacement cord still works great.

I sent Logitec, who apparently own UI, an email telling them that, yeah they're out of warranty but I think that a product in this price range, that was well cared for, should have lasted longer. I mean, I'd understand if I stepped on them or something, but this was just normal use. I took care of these things. The response I got back from the customer care person was as follows:

"At this point, it is safe to say that your device is defective due to either physical or mechanical failure.

But do not worry for I am glad to process a replacement for your product as long as the device is covered by our warranty. "

So in other words, throw them out and buy another?

I dunno...I think in retrospect I wouldn't go this route again. I'm willing to pay for good quality, but I like stuff that l don't have to replace because it just dies on it's own.

Archived