Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this camera store almost doing bait and switch?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this camera store almost doing bait and switch?

I ordered this Nikon 18-200mm DX VR autofocus zoom lens from Express Cameras online for the absurdly low price of $549.

I get a call saying they need more info to process my order. I call, and suddenly, a salesman is saying, "I can't believe you didn't order the new 18-200mm lens...yadda yadda...it's much better, etc. etc. and bla bla bla."

I said I had never heard of that lens.

"Well, it's new! It's brand-new. It's coming out next week! Never been released in the U.S.!!"

I commented that if it's coming out next week, how would I have heard of it before?

"It's fantastic. Much better than the Nikon 18-200mm DX VR lens!! You won't be happy with that, believe me. I've been a professional photographer for 33 years! I'll tell you what. I'll ship it out to you now. Have a look at it on our website."

He directs me to the new lens that he's trying to sell me on their website. I'm looking at it, and it says, $1499, but he says he'll reduce it "by 50%!!" I notice that there's no brand name. It doesn't say Nikon. "It's a Sigma!" he says. "Great lens!"

I told him that I want the Nikon lens instead, but thank you very much for the advice. "You're making a mistake," he replies, "I can send you the Sigma for evaluation." I insist on the Nikon again. "Okay, we can send you the Nikon."

He then tells me that the the Nikon doesn't come with mounts. Huh? At this point, being early in the morning, I didn't need this. I just canceled the order.

Apparently, if it sounds too good to be true...
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Oboy....

State Files Suit Against Electronics Company for Violations of Consumer Fraud Act
    spacer
    spacer spacer spacer
    spacerspacer spacer spacer

NEWARK - The Attorney General
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Before even reading the other stuff, I was going to tell you that yes, it's classic bait-and-switch. Now you know not to business with these fraudsters at all.

I hate scummy, sleazy businesses. I really do. Sure glad we work in an honest, forthright business lke the music industry.

If you want really high ethics in camera retailing, there's probably no better than B&H.
      Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the warning.
        My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

Ask Nikon if that lens is ever sold without mounts:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?p_sid=*49yM_Ni&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=238
          Sometimes the answer is in the clue.

There are two ways to argue with a woman. Neither one works.

University of Florida, BSBA, 1976.

Comment

At best I'm guessing grey market and refurbished. At worst, fake.
            My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

I called my credit card company. The order's still pending, but hasn't been put through yet. They said that they would monitor this and list it as "disputed" if it goes through.

Avoid Express Cameras at all costs.

Here's a CNET thread about them:
              CNET Thread

Comment

"If it seems to be too good to believe

it probably is"

Glad you caught it quickly....
                aka "The Guitar Geezer" at MP.com
                "DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND:
                IT IS REALITY THAT IS MALFUNCTIONING"
                Robert Anton Wilson 1932-2007

Comment

Check out the 70-300 VR. Around the same price. Great piece of glass.
                  Try Stroudsburg Foto Shop. Great people and fair pricing.

Comment

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Express_Cameras
                    what you have experienced is their standard proceedure.
                    6 month rating: .91/10
                    Lifetime ratineg: .80/10
                    yes, there is a decimal point in front of the 91 and the 80. It CAN'T get much worse. At least they are above their lifetime average in the last 6 months.

NEVER buy a camera from a Brooklyn camera store that you haven't checked out.
                    My new webpage: http://www.richardkingmedia.com/ Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

NEVER buy a camera from a Brooklyn camera store that you haven't checked out.

+10. I have had good luck with Adorama, and as Jeff mentioned, B&H, but I won't mess with the others any more.
                      Botch
                      Start by admitting, From cradle to tomb,
                      Isn't that long a stay.
                      Life is a cabaret, old chum, and I love a cabaret...

Comment

I've bought quite a bit of audio stuff from these guys & had good experiences...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Can't vouch for their camera stuff though...

Comment

yeah, i was looking at a panasonic hvx200 and their site came up, BAD BAD BAD!!!! do not buy from them, horror stories deluxe.

Comment

Before even reading the other stuff, I was going to tell you that yes, it's classic bait-and-switch. Now you know not to business with these fraudsters at all.

I hate scummy, sleazy businesses. I really do. Sure glad we work in an honest, forthright business lke the music industry.

If you want really high ethics in camera retailing, there's probably no better than B&H.

I didn't even have to OPEN THE THREAD to know it was almost certainly a classic B&S...

I mean -- it's a discount CAMERA STORE... that's what they do and have done for decades...

When I bought my little Nikon digi-cam, it was a mostly painless process but when I had to call about some order details (an odd form thing -- I almost wonder in retrospect if it wasn't a way to get people on the phone) they REALLY tried to upsell me to a really stupid "accessories package" -- a hundred bucks for a cam that cost $150... and the BATTERY PRICES!!!! Hoo boy -- between three and four times what I found after some thorough shopping. (I knew not to even consider the batteries from the cam store even before I checked around.)

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

That's my first bad experience with a camera store. And usually I check them out more thoroughly, but sheeesh, that was bad. I've purchased from Cameta Cameras in the past (a big eBay store) and have gotten really great service. I've had mostly great luck with B&H also. Great prices at B&H, just one problem I had with them that I think was just a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X