Happy 66th birthday, Pete Best!

rasputin1963

• Members

There's probably some truth to all the reasons you've heard. John and Paul, and George Martin thought his drumming sounded plodding and klunky. And, there was more than a shred of truth to the fact that he drew attention away from the guys in the front (as far as the girls went).

Bob Spitz' book has a pretty detailed account, including the *other* side of the Pete Best incident. Not only did John and Paul have to get Brian Epstein to fire Pete, but *they* had to do some dirty work themselves...namely drive up to a holiday camp where Rory Storm and the Hurricanes were playing, confront Storm, and steal his drummer.

• Members

Haven't any of you listened to the recordings of the Beatles that Pete played on? He stunk! Pete has done a lot of self-promotion over the years designed to make us believe he was a great drummer and the others were just jealous of his appeal to the ladies. All it takes is one listen to the beatles Decca and Parlophone auditions to realize he was a lousy musician (please listen to the audition take of "Love Me Do" on the Anthology album - YUCK!). Ringo had already sat in with the Beatles a number of times before he was approached to replace Pete. The Fabs knew who the best drummer was in the north of England and so they went and got him when the time was right. They were, however, pretty spineless in the way they went about giving Pete the boot. There was a lot of really low-down dealing by the Beatles detailed in Spitz' Bealtes biography. They really ran over people when it suited their needs.

FWIW - I am glad for Pete that he finally got some Beatles royalties from the Anthology albums.

• Members

George Martin once said in an interview that Pete had timing problems during the sessions, so George hired a session drummer until they could find a replacement which turned out to be Ringo. His exact words. Happy 66th B'day Mr. Timing Problem. :D

• Members

And here is the absolute, ONLY time I would ever give creedence to Bernard Purdie's claims that he played drums in the studio for the Beatles.

Listen to the above-mentioned take of "Love Me Do" with Best playing drums. The guy could barely qualify as a hack, IMO.

Now listen to the 1962 Decca audition songs...that's some tight drumming.

In my mind, that drummer on the Decca sessions just could not have been Pete Best, in any way, shape, or form.

Archived