Anyone Use Commercial Rehearsal studios?

Magpel

• Members

They seem like a pretty lousy business, right? The only time I've ever used one was when I put together a band of Manhattanites for a one-off show. It was too much to ask the players to make the 90-mile trek up here for a couple of rehearsals so we used a rehearsal studio in the city. It had a decent setup--full drum kit without cymbals, full PA, a Korg Trinity, and (the choicest bits) a nice selection of guitar amps, including the first Dr. Z I'd played through. They were charging, I think, $30/hr (this was about 4 years ago) and I think they had three rooms.

I ask because a friend of mine has a large commercial space for his business that has a huge unused basement space. He playfully threw out the idea of framing a couple of rooms down there, throwing in a PA and a drum kit and renting it--informally at first--as rehearsal space. He'd want me to populate the room with Craigslist scores and maybe do the research on what little sound containment would be necessary when finishing the spaces.

I might even consider throwing a little (a very little) captial into the idea if I thought it had any chance of catching on. The good thing about the place is that my friend's other business is very successful, so the space is there and is his no matter what, so there's no real risk associated with the space.

So...by way of very unscientific survey, do any of you ever use commercial rehearsal space? I can remember only a few such attempts in my area and none that know of is still around. I can see where it might be viable in urban areas.

• Members

I hardly gig but when I do, I have to rent out a place for a couple of hours. I used to use Coyote in Williamsburg but they closed shop after their lease expired. I think I was paying $30/hour and I had to give them a deposit (don`t remember what it was) as a retainer I guess. I know more and more places are starting to rent out rooms on a monthly basis but thats not realistic for me so its getting harder to find a place that rents out per hour. I`m also picky, the place has to be clean and the neighborhood has to be safe and have some decent places to eat. I usually go out with my band afterwards... We perform so little, even our rehearsals are a cause for celebration. :D

• Members

Our band has a 24-hour lock-out rehearsal studio which we pay rent for. However, they don't supply PAs or anything. It's simply a room with lights and an air conditioning unit. There's probably about 14 rooms in one building, and then probably about the same amount across the alley, all owned by the same people (who treat us really well). All the rooms are occupied.

• Moderators

It is my definition of hell. You get out of your car and hear the sub bass permeating your chest. The old flea ridden couch sits next to the dumpster and a couple of skanky dreaded tattoos share a joint. Out walks a meth head arguing with his band mate. Then you head in and are hit by 8 horrible bands at once. Isolation? Naw. And you scratch your head wondering how you're going to hear your own band over the din of concurrent, crappy bands.

I hate the places.

However, an acquaintance of mine, a local San Diego music writer, just bought a bar to showcase bands. I stopped by to check it out. As I chatted with him he asked me, "You want to see where I make my money though?" Can't say no to that. So without knowing where I was going I hopped in his car and we drove around the block to a warehouse district. He had 2 buildings built out to house 20 rehearsal spaces. He says, "This is the only money I can count on. The writing, the bar? Forget it. But this place? It is always packed."

• Members

Wow, you shoulda been Nelson Algren!

Well, I am sure my friend wants none of that kinda action on his premises!

It is my definition of hell. You get out of your car and hear the sub bass permeating your chest. The old flea ridden couch sits next to the dumpster and a couple of skanky dreaded tattoos share a joint. Out walks a meth head arguing with his band mate. Then you head in and are hit by 8 horrible bands at once. Isolation? Naw. And you scratch your head wondering how you're going to hear your own band over the din of concurrent, crappy bands.

I hate the places.

However, an acquaintance of mine, a local San Diego music writer, just bought a bar to showcase bands. I stopped by to check it out. As I chatted with him he asked me, "You want to see where I make my money though?" Can't say no to that. So without knowing where I was going I hopped in his car and we drove around the block to a warehouse district. He had 2 buildings built out to house 20 rehearsal spaces. He says, "This is the only money I can count on. The writing, the bar? Forget it. But this place? It is always packed."

• Members

Lee- I hear you, thats why I loved Coyote. There were only 3 rooms and the isolation was pretty good compared to most places. There are several abandoned factories by me that I am considering looking into for renting out the next time we rev up the machine. I`d love to buy one but real estate is so $$$ here in NYC... still. I`d love to gut it, build a commercial studio and stage, bar, grill and several apartments in there to accommodate any project.

• Moderators

Ernest, I love your vision for a place. I should quit the corporate world, sell my place and move to NYC and go in with you! Well, maybe not. Sure sounds fun though.

My description of the local rehearsal spot above goes further down the drain too. Like the stoned attendant trying to get the worlds oldest, {censored}tiest PA working. It's cranked, and he's turning the ancient pots and it's popping and crackling at ear splitting levels and were trying to get him to leave and he keeps making those god awful sounds come out of those old dusty, rusted iron looking radial horns, turning the pots and playing with the old leads, maybe if I plug this into that and and please stop and... aahhhhh!!!!

• Members

My description of the local rehearsal spot above goes further down the drain too. Like the stoned attendant trying to get the worlds oldest, {censored}tiest PA working. It's cranked, and he's turning the ancient pots and it's popping and crackling at ear splitting levels and were trying to get him to leave and he keeps making those god awful sounds come out of those old dusty, rusted iron looking radial horns, turning the pots and playing with the old leads, maybe if I plug this into that and and please stop and... aahhhhh!!!!

Yeah...I was thinking more along the lines of picking up three Mackie VLZ 14s on eBay for a buck fifty each...

Except I have presented my friend with the idea that, however the space is divided up, we should have a "great room" studio that costs more than the other couple, that is better outfitted gear wise, and that could accommodate small shows and clinics.

• Members

I hate the places.

I rent a space for $250 per month that is pretty close to this description.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I hate the places.

Lee are you talking about String Masters or somewhere else?

i was in holland for a month and witnessed the most amazing studio space i've ever seen. 7 studios, all very nice and high end... everyone walking around borrowing keyboards, comrpessors, mics etc. i would LOVE to find a place like that in san diego :(

• Members

Michael -- not finding that to be very true. a few places are on the verge of going out of business but want a lease partner to come in like $5,000 a mo. I'm just interested in a space with other recording artists.

• Moderators

I was talking about the places along Miramar and also OB and Sports Arena area. Hell. The one that looked nice is owned by Ken Leighton up in Oceanside. He bought a little bar next to the Oceanside airstrip there and has his rehearsal business right there as well.

Archived