Buying a very good gear now - is it better than cash?

temnov

• Members

So, I need a new gear for my sessions and I buy good mikes and good pre-amps. Is this the best way for recording engineer-musician to save today?

Good gear always keeps value, false or true? Is it better than cash?

Good gear - at least for me - something like Royer or Earthworks mikes, Supre or Grace pre-amps. Or API :)

• Members

The value of the gear is what it contributes to your getting done what you need to get done. If you need stuff to do that, and it's cheaper now because of the situation at hand, and you have the bucks to get it, then it would seem to be a good deal. If it's stuff you'll have to buy sooner or later, buy it when it's cheaper.

If you get good stuff, then does the long term resell value really matter? If it's good stuff and you can always use it, then why would you want to resell it?

• Members

Here's my formula, any gear which can be resold in the future for what you paid is free to use. A great approach is to make bottom-line offers to people selling gear in your local classifieds. About 10% will accept your offer, and then you can use that gear for a couple years and sell it for what you paid.

A lot of the gear I own was bought that way.

Just got one of those little Brian May signature Vox amps the other day for $80 (CAN) like new in the box with manual, etc. Sounds awesome when used to drive a larger amp, and it's always going to be worth $80. That's my favorite way to buy gear. Then you use it (maintain it well) for as long as you need and recoup your cash whenever you like.

It's a great formula. Doesn't always work out but since I've been buying things this way I've been a heck of a lot happier. Haven't had buyer's remorse for quite a while. :thu:

• Moderators

Yes, buying used stuff is a great way to go. The formula for free usage, as long as the piece will retain that value. Some things might not. But yeah, buy a good piece used, for a steal, and it's free if you later sell it.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to buy anything unless it has a classic status. I don't mean that in an elitist way either. I mean it like, buy a Levi Jacket if you get cold. 501's will always be in style and will serve you well. Doc Marten's or a good running shoe? A white T shirt?

Nothing fancy. A 57, a 414, a Black Beauty snare. A P Bass or a Jazz. An Ampeg tube amp. An old Fender amp. A API pre! A good Strat or Les Paul. A P-90 pickup. And even after receiving a ration from those in the know, I'm starting to see classic JBL monitors getting respect again. I always like the way they sounded and thne all of a sudden... "They don't sound good anymore?" Of course they do. Just fell off the fashion wheel for a minute.

These things never lose their value.

Archived