Oh rapture, Oh joy, Chinese Democracy

Billster

• Members

GnRs Appetite was a classic but their double album, though good had lost its edge already so they were a firecracker even had they released this record in 1992. Even then, with Grunge coming in, it would have been an interesting mix. However, Appetite will never be duplicated again. Just enjoy it for what it was.

• Members

I'm wondering if today's teenagers will tune into this thing, and then be shocked,
shocked
, to learn about
Appetite for Destruction

It will be like
"You mean Paul McCartney was in a band
before
Wings?"
all over again.
:D

Great point. Man, some kids are going to get their worlds completely rocked. And thats good. This may actually turn out to be the best thing for the industry.:lol:

• Members

I heard the title track too and had a "so what" moment. The spirit of the original is long gone. Axl can't carry the whole thing. That being said, there's a kinda cool guitar riff about two thirds the way through that caught my ear. Nothing flashy but the sound was definitely hooky.

• Members

That being said, there's a kinda cool guitar riff about two thirds the way through that caught my ear. Nothing flashy but the sound was definitely hooky.

I'm sure one of the 18 (or whatever) guitar players and 793 Pro Tools operators who worked on that riff over the last 73 years are grateful for your kind words. :lol:

• Members

I'm wondering if today's teenagers will tune into this thing, and then be shocked,
shocked
, to learn about
Appetite for Destruction

It will be like
"You mean Paul McCartney was in a band
before
Wings?"
all over again.
:D

Today's teens still dig Appetite For Destruction.

That album is right up there with Back in Black, Toys In the Attic, Who's Next, Led Zeppelin IV, and Dark Side of the Moon, if maybe not in overall quality, then at least in popularity, with today's youth.

Just ask Craig about being in airports, and his interest in kids' iPod content, and what their answers to his inqueries are.

• Members

Today's teens still dig
Appetite For Destruction

That album is right up there with
Back in Black, Toys In the Attic, Who's Next, Led Zeppelin IV,
and
Dark Side of the Moon,
if maybe not in overall quality, then at least in popularity, with today's youth.

Just ask Craig about being in airports, and his interest in kids' iPod content, and what their answers to his inqueries are.

Yeah, that's true. I thought about how today's teens are listening to stuff like Zeppelin and early Black Sabbath and realized that if that time frame applied in the 1970's I would have been listening to music popular in the 1930's. :eek: Oh, wait, I did like Duke Ellington. :cool:

• Members

Today's teens still dig
Appetite For Destruction

That album is right up there with
Back in Black, Toys In the Attic, Who's Next, Led Zeppelin IV,
and
Dark Side of the Moon,
if maybe not in overall quality, then at least in popularity, with today's youth.

Or just walk past any high school when they're letting out and see what shirts they're wearing. All those things you mentioned are super popular with high school kids. Also popular are Hendrix, Marley, SRV, Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, and a bunch of other stuff.

• Members

I recall reading some time ago that the Tool side project A Perfect Circle got started in part because the APC guitar player was doing technical stuff on Chinese Democracy. Studios would be booked for months at a time, and Axl would never show up. So the APC guy started recording tracks in the voluminous downtime and ended up launching a pretty popular band. I'll say one thing about the current GnR: at least Tommy Stinson is getting paid. I think of GnR as his post-Replacements pension scheme.

• Members
Great point. Man, some kids are going to get their worlds completely rocked. And thats good. This may actually turn out to be the best thing for the industry.
:lol:

Yeah it will get like 10 million free downloads on Limewire. I mean..... for the kids and everything.:cool:

Archived