HELP with a vocal mic (to make my voice less bassy)

• Members

HI there,

I am a newbie here and need some expert advice!

Iam looking for a new vocal mic- as the ones I have emphasize more of the lower frequencies of my voice and end up making everything sound too much like Leonard Cohen...

I am looking primarily at a mic for live applications- the mixer we have has limited EQ so I was hoping for something that had higher freq attenuation.

I have a RODE NT1, and Shure SM 58 and both are a little more mid-bass heavy with my voice...

Any suggestions in the range up to $350 USD?

Graham,

graham.maureen@sympatico.ca

stuartg@alcdsb.on.ca

• Members

I don't know if you could use it live but I've got an AKG C-2000 which works great for me as I've got the same problem as you with my voice having way too much low mids and lows. The C-2000 has a hi pass at 500 Hz which just works perfect on my voice. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY higher than most all other mics that I know of.

• Members

You don't need a new mic. You need to take a half step back from the mic (or if you're holding it, pull it off your mouth about three more inches).

And then, if that doesn't work, you don't need to add EQ. You need to subtract a little in the low end (typically the 80Hz range). If your mic doesn't have a LF rolloff control, back it off on the mixer a tad.

Good luck. :)

• Members

Hey, wow, Jeff, those sound like great ideas!
;):D

In my defense, I'd started to reply before you, got a phone call, came back and wrote... exactly what you wrote, in a wordier fashion as I'm prone to do. :lol:

And then didn't see your post until mine went up. Great minds, of course, think alike. ;)

• Members

In my defense, I'd started to reply before you, got a phone call, came back and wrote... exactly what you wrote, in a wordier fashion as I'm prone to do.
:lol:

And then didn't see your post until mine went up. Great minds, of course, think alike.
;)

:D

Our posting times were similar, so I figured that this is what happened. And great minds, etc.

But why should I pass up a chance to hassle you? :D

• Members

Dynamics like the RE-20 are known for their lack of proximity effect. You can eat an RE-20 without getting a lot of bass exaggeration, and plus it fits your price range, and plus it's a mic everyone should have. It won't give high sizzle that might sometimes be mistaken for "less bass"...but I am sure you can work all that out with some EQ.

I use the RE-20 on more and more...and more

• Members

You don't need a new mic. You need to take a half step back from the mic (or if you're holding it, pull it off your mouth about three more inches).

Dealing with the proximity this way is not what i would suggest as a moderately experienced soundman and longtime performer myself for the following reason;

you lose too much real meat with even an inch's distance on a 58 or any dynamic, the stuff that cuts through the rest of the noise. Most smaller situations are not going to have some guy compressing and setting up the vocal mike correctly and the best thing is always to get right on a dynamic in a live situation anyway, for body, and also to keep the gain down to stop feedback and bleed.

That said, I recommend a Heil Pr-30 or 40 for the OP if i am guessing what kind of voice he has. I have used one live and for my voice it was too anemic, but for a full voice it might be just the trick, nice top. The proximity on them like a 57-8 is touchy.

They are very useful recording mikes too.

or like mentioned a 421(has a nice top) and adjustable low roll off.

• Members

The Heil p35 is based on the 30 but has a nice roll off option ( also in a normal hand held casing instead of the coke can sized shape)

It is nice to be able to crowd this mic without proximity effects when recording in a poor room !! (I.E the room is {censored}! )

• Members

Dynamics like the RE-20 are known for their lack of proximity effect. You can eat an RE-20 without getting a lot of bass exaggeration, and plus it fits your price range, and plus it's a mic everyone should have. It won't give high sizzle that might sometimes be mistaken for "less bass"...but I am sure you can work all that out with some EQ.

But don't put your hand around the ports!

• Members

ive had real good luck with the e835 when dealing with "mic eaters". i swapped one out with an sm58 the other night due to the singers huge proximity issue.

as an added bonus, i was able to flatten out the upper sweep whereas with the 58 i had been boosting it quite a bit about 3k. only issue i had was the guy was not used to hearing his wedges with any clarity and that kinda shook him a little. no 'eerie monitor ring on a small stage' like with the 58.

• Members

+ 1000. Only thing is, it's a little bulky if you want the audience to admire your nostrils. Brilliant vocal mic for males. Studio or live.

Archived