I have an idea for a website and iphone app but have no idea where to go from here.

Ryst

• Members

I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I still have a lot to learn so please forgive my basic questions.

I have an idea for an iphone app and website that I would like to work on. However, I know NOTHING about building a website and it's infrastructure or building an iphone app.

I obviously need to hire a web guy/gal and iphone app developer. But before that I need to test this on a some people. So I guess I have a lot of "research" to do as well.

I guess the first questions that come to my mind are...do people in my position normally look for investors at the beginning or after some kind of protocol is built for the investors to look at?

And with limited funding right now, is it even possible to find web/app developers that would be interested in helping up front for free and getting a paycheck later? I don't actually feel comfortable asking for this because I would rather pay people up front instead of later but at this point I don't have much funds so I don't have much of a choice.

I basically want the simplicity of a website like twitter. It doesn't need to be complicated. Same thing for the app. I think the most complicated thing will be the infrastructure behind it to keep the app and website running properly and doing what it's supposed to do.

So where do I go from here without much funding? Any ideas if you were in my shoes?

• Members

Kickstarter is great, but only if you don't mind disclosing at least enough to communicate your idea so that people can decide if they want to support it.

Otherwise, find a tech person who can do the website and iPhone app, and make them a partner. If they like the idea, the right person will go for it, and there are certainly a lot of both types of developers out there. Since it will then be a joint venture and not an "I'm hiring you for free and you get a paycheck later" situation, it's fair to both parties and you needn't feel bad about it. The developer has basically acknowledged at that point that he or she thinks your idea is good enough to take the risk.

I have the skills you want and I'd inquire about it myself, except that I already have too full a plate.

• Members

I have the skills you want and I'd inquire about it myself, except that I already have too full a plate.

So basically you`re saying that even though his idea may rake in gazillions, you`re not interested because you`re... "too busy".

At least hear Ryst out. ;)

Ryst, Basically what Lee said. Anyone who can provide the services you need and likes your idea, will do it for free as long as they are a partner. Apparently Lee has enough $$$.

EB:poke:Lee

• Members

Kickstarter is great, but only if you don't mind disclosing at least enough to communicate your idea so that people can decide if they want to support it.

Otherwise, find a tech person who can do the website and iPhone app, and make them a partner. If they like the idea, the right person will go for it, and there are certainly a lot of both types of developers out there. Since it will then be a joint venture and not an "I'm hiring you for free and you get a paycheck later" situation, it's fair to both parties and you needn't feel bad about it. The developer has basically acknowledged at that point that he or she thinks your idea is good enough to take the risk.

Thanks Lee. I know you're super busy but if you're still interested I can share the idea with you over the phone at some point. Just let me know.:wave:

• Members

So basically you`re saying that even though his idea may rake in gazillions, you`re not interested because you`re... "too busy".

Hey, I'm working on my own idea that may rake in gazillions. :lol: On top of my regular programming work, studio work, and playing in... oh, 3 bands now.

But sure, Ryst, I'd be happy to hear your idea and give you some feedback on it.

• Members

And with limited funding right now, is it even possible to find web/app developers that would be interested in helping up front for free and getting a paycheck later?

Most folks don't, Ryst. Too many times (as a designer, writer, developer, etc.), I've been approached by people who have invented "the next greatest ______ ", and ask me to work either on spec (pay ya later) or for a piece of the company (percentage of future supposed profits). Unless the idea is undeniably going to pull in a LOT of money very quickly, it's very difficult for us to allot time and resources toward those kinds of projects. I'm not in a position to sacrifice earnings now for what amounts to be a huge gamble on a payday later.

A typical app in the consumer world is going to cost between $10k and $30k to develop, soup to nuts. Obviously, there are huge variables, but the big cost is the time it's going to take someone to code and test this. The second biggest cost is to make it look pretty. And after all that, it's still up to you (or someone you pay) to spread the word about it so it has a chance of success.

Anyway, best of luck. :thu:

• Members

Most folks don't, Ryst. Too many times (as a designer, writer, developer, etc.), I've been approached by people who have invented "the next greatest ______ ", and ask me to work either on spec (pay ya later) or for a piece of the company (percentage of future supposed profits). Unless the idea is undeniably going to pull in a LOT of money very quickly, it's very difficult for us to allot time and resources toward those kinds of projects. I'm not in a position to sacrifice earnings now for what amounts to be a huge gamble on a payday later.

A typical app in the consumer world is going to cost between $10k and $30k to develop, soup to nuts. Obviously, there are huge variables, but the big cost is the time it's going to take someone to code and test this. The second biggest cost is to make it look pretty. And after all that, it's still up to you (or someone you pay) to spread the word about it so it has a chance of success.

Anyway, best of luck.
:thu:

Yeah, it's very difficult for me to even approach anyone asking for them to consider getting paid later. When I work with others either producing, recording, mixing, I have specific rules set so I don't get ripped off and I expect to get paid for the work I do and i do get paid. So being on the other end asking for people to work for spec is very uncomfortable to me.

We'll see what happens. I still have a lot of work and research to do before even getting the app/site up and running. Thanks for input, Jeff.:thu:

• Members

So being on the other end asking for people to work for spec is very uncomfortable to me.

Me too. And yet, if a friend of mine gets me excited about some idea he has, and it seems like it might be fun to contribute to, I might jump in at no charge. That's true with music stuff as it is with more lucrative things. :)

• Members

Me too. And yet, if a friend of mine gets me excited about some idea he has, and it seems like it might be fun to contribute to, I might jump in at no charge. That's true with music stuff as it is with more lucrative things.
:)

I know you've made it clear many times that you don't consider me a friend, but here goes. I've got this idea for a web app, basically, the web page presents an open field that accepts text input about topics of interest, and helps you find them. The idea is, if you're looking for something on the web, or just curious about a topic, you type it into that field. Then, behind the scenes (I'll guess we'll have servers to do this), the website scans the internet for relevant answers and presents them in some sort of clickable list. So, say you're interested in cat juggling, you'd type "cat juggling," click "find it!", and BOOM, in no time at all you get a list of the most relevant sites about cat juggling, history of cat juggling, famous cat jugglers, pictures of juggling cats, etc. Kind of like a web app to help you navigate other websites. I know I know, sounds kinda meta, and I'm quite sure hot to monetize it yet, but I could see something like this being useful. So, you in, Weasel, or what?

• Members

Make sure you patent it first before revealing it to anyone.

A buddy of mine was discussing an idea he had with a so called friend. He didnt have the money to bring it to market yet. His friend found a chinese manufacturer to prototype it and produce it. He then sold it to every small engine parts house in the US. He stole his idea and there is nothing he can do. GET IT PATENTED!!!

• Members

A buddy of mine was discussing an idea he had with a so called friend. He didnt have the money to bring it to market yet. His friend found a chinese manufacturer to prototype it and produce it. He then sold it to every small engine parts house in the US. He stole his idea and there is nothing he can do. GET IT PATENTED!!!

There are limits -- or at least there used to be -- as to what can be patented.

But a well-written non-disclosure agreement may go a long way to easing one's mind -- particularly in the proof-of-concept stage which is often explored before a patent or is applied for.

I have a pal who has a patent on a guitar related device. It cost him a lot to get and then no one wanted it. Even when a vaguely similar device hit the market (not infringing, not copied, but definitely in the same line of thought), there was still little interest -- in either device.

Sometimes you build it -- and they don't come.

• Members

I don't believe you can patent most apps, thankfully, which is why there are so many of them. Same with games. I don't think you can patent most games. Famously, you can't patent an idea, and only an invention if it's new and different. Or, say, a procedure or algorithm that drives the app can be patented. I'm far from an expert, but I think that's more or less correct.

• Members

I don't believe you can patent most apps, thankfully, which is why there are so many of them. Same with games. I don't think you can patent most games. Famously, you can't patent an idea, and only an invention if it's new and different. Or, say, a procedure or algorithm that drives the app can be patented. I'm far from an expert, but I think that's more or less correct.

You can patent software. I know a gazillionaire who does it all the time. He creates software for various applications and then patents it then sells it to a bigger company. Needless to say this mans daily driver is a lime green lamborghini. Get a patent if its at all possible.

• Members

Software CAN be patented, but only under very limited circumstances - the applicant has to demonstrate that the software is a substantially new idea. Patents are quite expensive to obtain and the process is so lengthy that most programmers don't apply for an actual patent unless they are 1) pretty confident the idea is innovative enough to qualify, and 2) even more confident that it'll be a huge money maker. This doesn't really apply to most websites and iPhone apps.

Software IS, of course, protected under normal copyright law, once it is created. And certainly, if you are disclosing your idea to people who might be potential partners, you should have a non disclosure agreement with them. There are lots of boilerplate NDA's available on the web, and this protects you from having that individual steal your idea.

• Members

Software IS, of course, protected under normal copyright law, once it is created. And certainly, if you are disclosing your idea to people who might be potential partners, you should have a non disclosure agreement with them. There are lots of boilerplate NDA's available on the web, and this protects you from having that individual steal your idea.

The copyright with software is on the specific implementation and not the idea itself. If there is only really one way to code an algorithm, then anything that looks in source to be close and you might have a case. But generally, it's more of a measure to keep others from directly ripping the code, but nothings stopping them from taking the idea and working it with a copyright.

You can patent specific concepts though, but that is a long, expensive and arduous task if you are attempting to do it yourself and on the cheap.

An NDA is probably the easiest way of stopping people from taking an idea that you are discussing from using it themselves (though might be difficult to enforce without a good lawyer, and substantial paperwork and notes about what you've discussed and shared).

• Members

The copyright with software is on the specific implementation and not the idea itself. If there is only really one way to code an algorithm, then anything that looks in source to be close and you might have a case. But generally, it's more of a measure to keep others from directly ripping the code, but nothings stopping them from taking the idea and working it with a copyright.

Right, exactly. That's why it's important to have an NDA in place before the code is actually written; the concept itself is not copyrightable, only the implementation.

You can patent specific concepts though, but that is a long, expensive and arduous task if you are attempting to do it yourself and on the cheap.

Yep. And you'd better be darned confident that the idea is truly unique. Most patent applications are denied, and meanwhile a bunch of people see your patent application and can have it ready to market by the time the application is denied.

Better to just have an NDA with whoever you share the concept, and skip the patent process, in the vast majority of cases.

Archived