School me on music in Paris!

• Moderators

My wife, 15 year old daughter and I are going to Paris this November for 12 days. I've never been. The choice of November... :facepalm: was sort of a financial compromise but I've had many a great trip against season. No crowds, friendlier locals, more access to them for hanging out, etc. Against season is fun.

We'll be staying in Montmartre steps from Sacre Coeur in a surprisingly large apartment found through www.airbnb.com. So the travel arrangements are done and paid for.

Finding all the tourist things to do is pretty clear, but... I'm going to be in Montmartre just outside my door. Jazz music awaits! Cabaret! Music music music! I literally step out my front door and I'm in the heart of it. Yes, I'm stoked.

So, who's had musical experiences in Paris? Any ideas? Any other tourist suggestions as well?

• Members

I haven't truly visited Paris, so I can only think of a couple of things that may help in general.

First, traveling in the "off-season" is fantastic. Less crowds, more people able to talk to you, all that. If the weather is decent, then it's all good.

The second thing is: avoid flying Air France at all costs. They are by far the {censored}tiest, most incompetent, most uncaring airline I have ever flown. And that's really saying something as I fly United due to frequent flier miles. But they make United look like wonderful in comparison.

• Members

I'd suggest going to the heart, arrondissements ("districts" basically...the districts form a spiral) 1-4 (mainly 3,4 it seems to me has a pocket of jazz clubs in close proximity ) on the left bank and 5,6 on the right bank.

As far as getting around, it's really all about hte Metro...they have a new equivalent to the carte orange (the orange card subway pass) that you can get in weekly increments which is very convenient.

• Members

I'd suggest going to the heart, arrondissements ("districts" basically...the districts form a spiral) 1-4 (mainly 3,4 it seems to me has a pocket of jazz clubs in close proximity ) on the left bank and 5,6 on the right bank.

As far as getting around, it's really all about hte Metro...they have a new equivalent to the carte orange (the orange card subway pass) that you can get in weekly increments which is super convenient.

• Moderators

As far as getting around, it's really all about hte Metro...they have a new equivalent to the carte orange (the orange card subway pass) that you can get in weekly increments which is super convenient.

Great info. so 3,4, 5 and 6 have the clubs! Cool.

• Members

you can find little places dotted all around, but yeah, that's where you get some good density

The paris "off season" can be nice...now it's close to the same latitude as maybe Vancouver, BC so the days are shortish and it is chilly (which is an excuse to wear a scarf Parisian style)

But the brasseries usually have heaters and sort of tent-ish things (or there's always inside) so it's still very people-watchy and all that.

Like anything else...there is a mix of truth and nostalgia

I mean you can still go out and see Jazz, but Paris is a modern city ... its not just post WWII like the jazz fantasy might have you craving

OTOH Paris is still Paris and, esp if you've never been, the rhythm of the city and the environment is something in its own right that can give you that feel (lots of old stone basements, turkish toilets, etc :D -- it just runs on a different clock) --- so there is quite a bit of olde schoole just built right in to the whole experience

Make time to just sit in a brasserie.

Go to the Mus

• Moderators

you can find little places dotted all around, but yeah, that's where you get some good density

The paris "off season" can be nice...now it's close to the same latitude as maybe Vancouver, BC so the days are shortish and it is chilly (which is an excuse to wear a scarf Parisian style)

But the brasseries usually have heaters and sort of tent-ish things (or there's always inside) so it's still very people-watchy and all that.

Like anything else...there is a mix of truth and nostalgia

I mean you can still go out and see Jazz, but Paris is a modern city ... its not just post WWII like the jazz fantasy might have you craving

OTOH Paris is still Paris and, esp if you've never been, the rhythm of the city and the environment is something in its own right that can give you that feel (lots of old stone basements, turkish toilets, etc :D -- it just runs on a different clock)

Make time to just sit in a brasserie.

Go to the Mus

• Members

My wife, 15 year old daughter and I are going to Paris this November for 12 days. I've never been. The choice of
November...
:facepalm:
was sort of a financial compromise but I've had many a great trip against season. No crowds, friendlier locals, more access to them for hanging out, etc. Against season is fun.

We'll be staying in Montmartre steps from Sacre Coeur in a surprisingly large apartment found through
www.airbnb.com
. So the travel arrangements are done and paid for.

Finding all the tourist things to do is pretty clear, but... I'm going to be in Montmartre just outside my door. Jazz music awaits! Cabaret! Music music music! I literally step out my front door and I'm in the heart of it. Yes, I'm stoked.

So, who's had musical experiences in Paris? Any ideas? Any other tourist suggestions as well?

Sounds great. Paris is one of my favorite cities.

But I'm not someone who's been to many of the world's great cities. Never been to Tokyo, London, New York, Berlin, Moscow. But I've been to Paris and I'll take that over the others from what I know and have seen through the eye of the movie lens.

Montmartre is as charming as many folks say.

Sadly, a lot of old Paris has been torn down but there's still plenty of charm and antiquity, along with the sometimes shocking intrusion of the new. (Not to worry though, once you get inside the Peripherique, it doesn't look much like LA at all. Even the new stuff is, at the very least, interesting. [OK Pompidou Centre is ultra-lame like any mall, right down to the obligatory tattoo/piercing shop. Granted.] ;) )

FWIW, when I was there in the summer of '71 and the fall of '86, mostly what I heard were multiple versions of "Ne me quitte pas," which appears to have been playing non-stop there since Jacques Brel wrote it in '59. ;)

• Members

Lived there for a year and worked just around the corner from where you'll be staying. Amazing city. Just to let you know, right down on the main boulevard from where you're staying is the red light district with all the sex shops etc so it can get a little rough at night but nothing worse then you have in most other city's.

You're right alongside Pigalle where all the music shops are, basically streets and streets of guitar, bass and drum shops which is really cool.

There's a great theatre called La Cigale right around the corner from you which has the best of all music all year long so might be worth checking the listings for when you'll be there. Avoid eating or drinking on the Champs Elysee as you'll be ripped off no end. Otherwise, just walk around the streets as there's cool little restaurants, jazz clubs etc everywhere!

• Members

Sounds great. Paris is one of my favorite cities.

But I'm not someone who's been to many of the world's great cities. Never been to Tokyo, London, New York, Berlin, Moscow. But I've been to Paris and I'll take that over the others from what I know and have seen through the eye of the movie lens.

It looks fantastic, and I hope to go someday. Maybe during November, who knows?

I've been to Tokyo, although a long time ago, and that's a fantastic city. I liked Shanghai as well. I really like New York.

A few of my favorite cities that I've visited so far are San Francisco, New York, Fez, Marrakech, Salvador da Bahia (Brazil), Hong Kong, and Granada (Spain).

I don't know that Portland, OR is considered one of the great cities, but I love that city just for how it is...relaxed, comfortable, friendly people, surrounded by beautiful trees, cool things to do, just a nice overall vibe. It's been a long time since I've been to Tokyo. I have a feeling if I went again, it'd be in my list. And I also should mention Quito, Ecuador. What a setting for a city, and really relaxed there as well, I think.

• Members

So, who's had musical experiences in Paris?

I've been to Paris many times, mostly because of doing gigs there. Great city! I'm sure you'll have a good time over there.

I remember playing in a nice little live music club called The New Morning. Check it out, they often have great bands playing there.

• Members

I found Paris to be difficult, so I'm glad to see you doing your homework. Sorry I can't be more help, but I feel my two visits there were less than successful.

Just a little thing, but I have found the "Let's Go" tour books to be 100% accurate.

• Members

My wife, 15 year old daughter and I are going to Paris this November for 12 days. I've never been. The choice of
November...
:facepalm:
was sort of a financial compromise but I've had many a great trip against season. No crowds, friendlier locals, more access to them for hanging out, etc. Against season is fun.

We'll be staying in Montmartre steps from Sacre Coeur in a surprisingly large apartment found through
www.airbnb.com
. So the travel arrangements are done and paid for.

lol, have a great trip!!!!

[video=youtube;5Kq6w-McPHk]

• Members

To my limited knowledge, Paris is best for experimental, Arabic-North African and African music.

IRCAM (Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique) is a European institute for science about music and sound and avant garde electro-acoustical art music. It is situated next to, and is organizationally linked with, the Centre Pompidou in Paris. The extension of the building was designed by Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers.

When I was there in 1989, I was lucky enough to catch a performance of musique concrete by Pierre Henry, I don't recall if it was at IRCAM or not.

I didn't catch any during my short visit, but I suspect you can find some Algerian Rai music and other Arabic-North African and African music since those styles are often recorded in Paris and some of the artists live there.

Most of the recent French pop music I have heard has been awful, but then I don't like much ultra-commercial music in any language. I have heard some good trip hop/ambient experimental Electronica from there, the group Air is one good example.

• Members

The second thing is: avoid flying Air France at all costs. They are by far the
{censored}tiest, most incompetent, most uncaring airline
I have ever flown. And that's really saying something as I fly United due to frequent flier miles. But they make United look like wonderful in comparison.

Funny you should say that. After a horrible set of recent United flights (with smaller seats than ever and not even a peanut provided) I was fondly remembering my one transatlantic AirFrance flight-perhaps the best airline experience I have ever had. The food was excellent, the wine was flowing freely, the seats were roomy and the beautiful multi-lingual flight attendants were shockingly friendly. Maybe I just got lucky.

• Members

An important tip that I wish I knew when I went there (because I found the residents quite rude); reportedly, just saying "hello, how are you" (in French) when you enter a home or business of any kind is important to them and will get you better treatment.

• Moderators

To my limited knowledge, Paris is best for experimental, Arabic-North African and African music.

IRCAM (Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique) is a European institute for science about music and sound and avant garde electro-acoustical art music. It is situated next to, and is organizationally linked with, the Centre Pompidou in Paris. The extension of the building was designed by Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers.

When I was there in 1989, I was lucky enough to catch a performance of musique concrete by Pierre Henry, I don't recall if it was at IRCAM or not.

I didn't catch any during my short visit, but I suspect you can find some Algerian Rai music and other Arabic-North African and African music since those styles are often recorded in Paris and some of the artists live there.

Most of the recent French pop music I have heard has been awful, but then I don't like much ultra-commercial music in any language. I have heard some good trip hop/ambient experimental Electronica from there, the group Air is one good example.

Hah! Now that's interesting. Centre Pompidou was on my list but I didn't realize there was music involved. Cool.

• Members

Montmatre was where my mom got pickpocketed. She had one of those purses that a woman wears like a backpack. Someone reached into the purse and lifted her money and other stuff. So just watch yourself and your daughter while you're there.

Other than that, enjoy the trip! Paris has plenty of museums that can be seen for free or very low cost. My favorite paid museum so far is Musee D'Orsay (the "impressionist" art museum).

• Members

That's awesome that you got to see Pierre Henry.

Autour de Lucie is good French pop, although it's probably not French pop in the way that most people associate with French pop, but anyway, I think they're good. There should be lots of really great North African music there, yes. I guess I was thinking about jazz from the OP and didn't think of this at all, and wouldn't know where to find this in Paris anyway.

Archived