Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLOCKBUSTER CHALLENGE AUG 2012 (Using IllinoisJack Lyrics)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I threw a couple of arrangement ideas on my track:

http://soundcloud.com/shortchord/theres-that-moon-again-1

Sweet.
    Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I really like it.

Once again, I feel the need to take guitar lessons...

LCK

Ironically, today I signed up to start taking guitar lessons again.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

When I woke up this morning, I played all of the songs, including mine.

Mine - I absolutely cringed when i heard it. The vocals were so pitchy. Geez. I think I have fixed that now. I also rebalanced, added some accents, and added some sfx.

Blue - Liken it. Almost early James Taylor. I think it could have been slightly slower for more emotional appeal. Nice.

SA - I really love the chorus. The verse melody is pretty good too.

LCK - superb. You ooze talent. And that chorus. Absolutely perfect. Lordy.

Chris - What a beautiful lulible like song. Of all the songs I've heard so far in this set, I could easily hear your version in some movie.

Short - Nice country tune. Love the guitar. I was particularly intriqued with the chorus. And the arrangement really builds nicely. Well done.

Lee - The second in this set with a flavor of James Taylor. Of all the songs, yours seems to me to be the most sing-along-able. I could also see your version, with some slight changes to the lyrics, becoming a childrens song.

BRAVO to all. Also a thanks to Stick for posting this songwriting-muscle-building challenge.

Rick
        www.rickdieffenbach.com.

Comment

A FORMAL NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR:

Before Jack makes any final decisions regarding his 'musical suitors,' I thought it was important to note that the forum rules have been modified to make a formal distinction between soliciting critique/feedback in a critique thread and those seeking a full collaboration.

Here is the newly amended rule in question:

• Suggestions become property of the songwriter where applicable
            Suggestions or contributions made to a song or composition in a critique thread should be considered a gift to the songwriter/composer and automatically become his or her intellectual property. Those seeking collaboration opportunities should consider the work of others as belonging to its creators until a formal private arrangement is made.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Suggestions or contributions made to a song or composition in a critique thread should be considered a gift to the songwriter/composer and automatically become his or her intellectual property. Those seeking collaboration opportunities should consider the work of others as belonging to its creators until a formal private arrangement is made.

You will hear from my lawyers soon!!

I like it... it's getting heavy in here.

Comment

There was a lot of weight on that 'where applicable' phrase before. A helpful party suggested it might be better to add some language explicitly separating critique/feedback thread suggestions from the 'collaboration opportunity' threads or other collaborative arrangements that might arise and making it clear that, until collaborators reach a formal arrangement between themselves, their contributions remain their own, discrete intellectual property.

As suggested elsewhere, it's best to have a clear, formal understanding of everyone's rights and responsibilities in a collaborative situation. What might seem fussy or over-cautious in the beginning might prove prudent and save a lot of grief later on.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Sorry, but unless it's somehow "required" or "Implicitly expected" I would really rather not name a single person as a "winner". We all win because we all learn along the way. Thank you all for the great feedback/suggestions/comments and - most importantly - music. Perhaps I will contact someone privately, perhaps I won't. But unless it's some breech of etiquite, I declare it all a tie.
                Illinois Jack

Some of my lyrics are posted on http://illinoisjack.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry, but unless it's somehow "required" or "Implicitly expected" I would really rather not name a single person as a "winner". We all win because we all learn along the way. Thank you all for the great feedback/suggestions/comments and - most importantly - music. Perhaps I will contact someone privately, perhaps I won't. But unless it's some breech of etiquite, I declare it all a tie.

It's OK Jack - because as you say - we are all winners.
                  The idea of the monthly challenge is for us to challenge ourselves and maybe move out of the comfort zone that we usually write in. It's not a Collaboration Thread.

The WIP threads and the Collaboration threads are different from the Monthly Challenge.
                  'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                  CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Hope it's not too late... Here's my first pass:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11811523

Edit: I only listened to one (Shortchord's) prior to posting this...

Comment

Bee3 - absolutely beautiful.
                      www.rickdieffenbach.com.

Comment

Justin - you've done it for me.
                        I've listened to all versions thus far, and there are different qualities in them all.
                        But your music sits absolutely right in its support of the lyric.

I felt almost that I was listening to an early Band number. I could here Garth doing what he does on the organ, and Richard on keys. I was just wondering when Levon was going to break in and tease the skins.

Absolutely wonderful arrangement for these lyrics.
                        'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                        CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Thanks guys... this was certainly a challenge for me. I never thought I'd be able to put music to existing lyrics... but Jack's lyrics made it easy. Thanks Stick for the challenge... (I always feel guilty when I don't participate in these blockbuster challenge threads).

Comment

Hope it's not too late... Here's my first pass:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11811523

Edit: I only listened to one (Shortchord's) prior to posting this...

I agree with OGP. This was reminiscent of The Band right from the opening.

Very nicely done.

LCK
                            “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

I agree with OGP. This was reminiscent of The Band right from the opening.

Very nicely done.

LCK

Haven't listened yet, but the lyric was reminiscent of "The Weight", especially that middle verse about the dog.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

You guys are a fun bunch!

I'm going to have to get in on this too. I still have 25 days right

Comment

Working...
                                X