Why do Ludwig Vistalites cost so much more than other acrylic drums?

towndog

• Members

Pearl has reintroduced their Crystal Beat acrylic drums, DW sells an acrylic kit in their Design series, Crush has an acrylic kit. Why are Ludwig Vistalites 2-3 times the cost of these other companies?

Do you see Ludwig cutting their price to compete? I had been debating buying a set of vistalites but it is getting hard to justify spending so much more.

• Members

For those not familiar with acrylic instruments:

ludwig-drums-john-bonham-ludwig-vistalite-drum-set-480710_zps67655740.jpg

These tend to have a dry, almost dead sound acoustically and only shine when properly tuned and engineered onto a digital recording. They are though prized for their visual appeal and used most often on live stages where the entertainment benefits outweigh any tonal compromises.. It is even thought the transparency fools the brain and prevents the audience from seeing through the drummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Is because Ludwig first invented Acrylic drums or at least the first set the professionals used and people listened to. Is much like Chevy and the Corvette, BB King and Lucille, and to drummers, John Bonham with his LUDWIG Vistalites!! You're buying the name and nostolgia!

• Members

There have been lots of folks that have had Acrylic shells. Zickos, Vibes, Pearl, DW and more, but if you grew up in my era, when you think Acrylic, you think Vistalite. I suspect that is a big part of the pricing. I also believe that the price went up when Ludwig perfected the seamless acrylic shell. Either way, the prices on these (even used) has seemed to climb in the last several years ...

Archived