Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a guitarist looking to get into drumming. What info/songs to learn first?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, thanks for the tips so far! Keep them coming!
    Resident swirl guy
    check out mah band: fusiony-metuhlz www.myspace.com/officialarc
    FOR SALE: Ibanez Lo Pro Edge bridge in GOLD with all the parts you need (...minus the bar!)! Nut, springs, posts, claw, etc... Bridge has some pitting/wear on the bass side. $75 and its all yours!

Comment

Regardless of what a lot of people say, I will proclaim the following:

If you ever want to utilize double-bass/multi-pedal work, start from the get go. Forget those who say master single with hihat and then work on double. That is like saying master just the right hand, then start over by adding the left.

If you hope to naturally play any multi-pedal setup as you are learning, its best to get started with it right off the bat in my opinion. This will allow you to feel comfortable with it from day one. And who says that it means you WONT master hat work, or single kick techniques? Just means you wont have to basically re-train your legs when the time comes.

I played first 3-4 years with single pedal, then got a double pedal and it took me another 3-4 years to actually put it to any good use in any genre of music I played, mostly just relying on the left to accent over primary use on the right. Now that Im into metal, I am again having to learn to look at the left as importantly as the right. Guys that have only been playing for a few years, but started with double kicks in metal are blazing past me, and I wish I had started it earlier.

This rule applies to ANYTHING related to drums really, dont wait and say you will learn it later, do it now.
      -Merlin Coryell-
      www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
      City - Metal from Portland, OR
      www.facebook.com/ndcity
      Mapex Drums; Zildjian & Sabian cymbals
      Axis &; Gibraltar Hardware, Evans & Remo Heads
      Alesis DM10; ProMark sticks
      ESP Guitars, Line6 Stuffs &; Junk

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

merlin's right. learn everything now, cuz you'll never be able to add anything later.
        i miss you, mark
        r.i.p. rudy

Comment

merlin's right. learn everything now, cuz you'll never be able to add anything later.

Just saying, why wait. The earlier to start on anything, the sooner you will gain proficiency. I just dont like people discouraging new drummers from getting double pedals or kicks. There is no logic to it. Anything you can learn with a single pedal, you can learn with a double. Not so the other way around.
          -Merlin Coryell-
          www.facebook.com/ndcity

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

Agree completely. There is a little sense in the old way in that that's the way most drumming is. Half a glance though, outside that pig headed box reveals first, that pigheaded box, and second a world of musical potential. One kick foot and one chick foot is a waste of time.
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

My son left his guitar at my house, think I'll learn how to play it. What songs should I start out learning? It shouldn't be too hard, I can already play drums and read rhythms, that should help. It only has 6 strings, shouldn't take me too long. I can already plug it in and get great feedback,haha.
              Step 1-learn how to hold the sticks.
              Step 2- learn how to hit the drum (there are many different ways)
              Step 3- try using both hands (this takes about 5 years minimum)
              Step 4- repeat steps 1,2,3 with your feet.

Seriously, if you are not going to get a teacher, at least get a couple of books. Stick Control (by Stone)is one of the best. For beginning hand foot coordination "Realistic Rock" (Appice) works fine.
              sound clips:

http://www.youtube.com/rdrummer322

Comment

jeez, jim, how many songs do you already know?? pick one of those! get a chord book and figure it out. you're no dummy!
                i miss you, mark
                r.i.p. rudy

Comment

Cdawg, it was a poke at the thread starter who thought he could just sit down and start playing drums with a little help. I do play guitar, not well, but it never has been a focus. My son did NOT leave his guitar at my house. I have one of my own.
                  The point is that some guitar players think that learning drums would be easy. No respect for the instrument, no understanding that just playing the drums and learning how to play can be 2 different things. I am still learning how to play, 50+ years of practicing and I've only scratched the surface of what is possible.
                  Yes, you can learn how to play lots of songs by getting down some basic foot hand coordination, do some fills by copying things you hear other drummers doing, and start playing in a band and presto, you are a drummer. Everyone thinks learning how to play drums will be easy, no notes to worry about, no scales to learn, if you hit the wrong thing no one notices, just keep the beat and rock out.
                  Even the sub topic of starting out with a double pedal is sort of silly. I have no problem with it, just make sure you can do as much as possible with a bass and hihat as well, don't just learn how to chuggachugga 16ths while you blast beat, learn how to do your foot rudiments, flam paraddidles, swiss army triplets, etc., as you learn your hand foot linear line fills. There is so much to learn and so little time.
                  sound clips:

http://www.youtube.com/rdrummer322

Comment

I appreicated the joke rdrummer.

After all I have done though, I would say you can skip the books and the videos. Hands on instruction is one thing, but nothing beats simply playing along to music of all kinds. I learned marching snare, bells, and bass in school; in-person instruction and books, lots of damn books.

When I got to the kit it helped only so far as some basic muscle memory. Playing to music is what really taught me how to drum, as my dad stuck my on his kit fired up the stereo, and walked away.

For all the formal instruction I had, I discovered that I my body actually learned MORE rudiments through self-practice, as they truly become natural movements. Later in school we would go over one, and I would be like "This is a formal thing? I do it all the time."

Lessons can be great, if you have a real teacher, not someone who just spews rudiments and sheet music at you. If the instructor doesnt have you playing along to anything from day one, and you arent a 10yr old who needs to learn which direction to hold the stick, I say walk away. But always, always, play along to music you love from the get go!
                    -Merlin Coryell-
                    www.facebook.com/ndcity

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

i miss you, mark
                      r.i.p. rudy

Comment

Its a General Fault with the Sarcasm Firmware that runs these boards. It messes up because of the DST changeover every season.
                        -Merlin Coryell-
                        www.facebook.com/ndcity

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

so over the past week, i've definately gotten better! i can play Brain Stew by Green Day, yay!
                          Resident swirl guy
                          FOR SALE: Ibanez Lo Pro Edge bridge in GOLD with all the parts you need (...minus the bar!)! Nut, springs, posts, claw, etc... Bridge has some pitting/wear on the bass side. $75 and its all yours!

Comment

For Fun: First, to be a real drummer, you have to learn to play "Wipeout" the old surfer tune by the Ventures, No one will believe you are a drummer until then, at least that's how it was when I started. Next is "Freebird" Lynard-Skynard. You hear it yelled out in all kinds of clubs and gigs and until you can play it, you ain't a drummer. Then is Rush and "Tom Sawyer", other Rush songs are close, but unless you can play "Tom", you have not arrived. Is fun to watch people's eyes pop and jaws drop went you lay into the beginning groove! Now you are in the world of Drum Gods and you are ready to try some Led Zepplin and John Bonham (aka "Bonzo") drumming, "Black Dog" "Rock and Roll" "Fool in the Rain" etc. Then is off to studio greats Steve Gadd on Paul Simon's "50 way to leave your lover" and "Aja" by Steely Dan. Jeff Pocarro on Boz Scagg's "Lido Shuffle" and "Lowdown" as well as the Toto classic "Rosanna" LOL

For real, get lessons, learn how to hold the sticks and use the stick bounce, how to use good posture etc. The others really are correct, even if you get a few lessons, it will be WAY worth it so you don't start with bad habits at the start! Drummers are known to get Carpel Tunnel in the wrist, tennis elbow, back aches all down the back and leg craps over time from not knowing the proper way to hit the head and use the rebound, etc. Plus hitting wrong is good way to crack cymbals, dent up your heads and chew up sticks. At least one or two lessons will give you some pointers and usually makes it easier for you to practice and pick up on things, let alone, a trained person watching how you play and giving you pointers in person!

Main thing in beginning drumming is ROCK SOLID timing and learning the beat. AC-DC, Beatles, etc are mostly easy 4/4 songs. Also just practice keeping a steady rhythm on your own for at least 5 mins, even if it's just snapping your fingers. Drummers get good by knowing how to keep the time steady, not rushing or dragging, and knowing where the beat so they know where to come in and where to back up. At practicing 3-5 a week, it may still take months to get a few basics down and years to second nature at it. I hope this helps and I wish you luck!! Let us know if you have more questions okay?
                            "As in drug rehab? or derhh, I crashes muh motorcycle rehab??" (Cross Eyed Mary) *** One of the founding members of The Geezer Guild***

Comment

awesome thanks so much for the advice! I've also heard i need to become a solid drinker to get into drumming. i also need to be broke. i'm working on it

so what is the proper way to hold a stick and to hit? I'm guessing i shouldn't follow my drummer's example. He is a phenom, but he hits hard as a mother****************er. He breaks probably at least 3 sticks per practice, and his cymbals last a few months. Every one of them is busted.
                              Resident swirl guy

Comment

Breaking sticks is normal and means you are doing it right, many reasons they break over time.

Breaking heads and cymbals means you are doing it WRONG! No matter what anyone says, if you use a conventional drumstick or mallet and you break one of these, you have improper form. I can hit as loud and hard as I want, and never break these, even thin splashes. Its all about HOW you hit them that makes the difference.

Other bashers that accept its normal to break cymbals are clueless. I have had 4 breaks ever. 1 cymbal was clamped too hard, another was too flat. One floor tom head was angled too much toward my stick, and one snare head was attacked by a drunkard at an open mic.

That all said, heads to get weak over time. Good heads can last years (I have some on kit now that are from 2003, dad still has black dots from 1980, though he doesnt use them anymore), but due to temps and tension, they can get more brittle and break after a while.
                                -Merlin Coryell-
                                www.facebook.com/ndcity

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

Working...
                                X