Which is harder Guitar or Drums?

Mukund

• Members

*blatently disregards "Do Not Feed" sign*

I have this discussion with a guitarist buddy of mine fairly often.

Drummers have big fat targets to hit. Sure, you wanna try to hit on the sweet spot when you play, but if not, it's not a big deal. Guitarists must hit targets that are, at their largest, about an inch or so long and 1/4" wide. If you're off by just half an inch, you're playing a different note altogether.

That alone qualifies the guitar as the more difficult instrument. There are more reasons, but not necessary.

I play both drums and guitar. Guitar was much harder to learn.

• Members

I personally think drums are harder. Yes you have a lot of target space but you also have to play with all four limbs and carry the rest of the band as they play off of you. If a guitarist is off its easy to mask if he's good enough. If a drummer is off not so much because it throws everyone off. Just my opinion.

Why are you guys being so mean to him did I miss something?

• Members

I tried to teach myself guitar as a teen.

I succeeded in teaching myself drums as a teen.

That being said, I think getting to the point where one can readily generate instantly recognizeable output that elicits a positive reaction from others is HELLA easier on guitar. Learn a barre chord or two, or a moveable shape and presto...you're a solo act with about 30 minutes of time.

I don't know a single chord by name, but know a simple moveable shape positioning that works in standard tuning and works INCREDIBLY well in drop D tuning, and I can knock off 25 songs most people would know at the drop of a hat with almost zero effort.

With nothing more than that shape and my ears, I taught myself to play the entirety of "Jessie's Girl" in about 10 minutes, including the bridge, all the changes, etc., simply by trial and (few) error. And I've recorded entire bass tracks to songs being created on the fly with no real understanding of theory, knowledge of what notes were in the key the song was in, etc.

Getting to the point where one is competent on guitar is way easier, IMO.

Getting to the point where you're exceptionally capable is more difficult on drums, IMO.

• Members

I've done 4-hour jazz gigs with groups I just met, in this situation for drums it's much easier for the fact you don't have to read charts, transpose, and worry about key changes. Melodic instruments always have to worry about time and key, we only have to worry about time.

• Members

Getting to the point where one is competent on guitar is way easier, IMO.

Getting to the point where you're exceptionally capable is more difficult on drums, IMO.

Agreed, and I think there's a specific reason. I play guitar as well, but it takes more PERSONAL dedication to be a good drummer than a good guitarist. The pure answer as to why is physical in nature. You can be a fat dude on a living room couch and practice the guitar 24 hours a day while you watch South Park and improve on the guitar.

Drums require a physical stamina (fitness), a physical location (practice space/ sound-proofed room), a societal understanding (can't practice during many hours due to sound), etc that simply doesn't hinder learning the guitar. I'm not sure either instrument is intuitively harder than another, but I know drums require more lifestyle dedication. :cool:

• Members

I give you 3 simple words... "four limb independence"...I rest my case your honor! Show me a guitar player who does that without the use of squawk boxes and effects...

Hey, no issue with guitards using pedals as far as I'm concerned...but you bring up an excellent point.

However, if the OP asked "Which is harder drums or pedal steel guitar?", we might have to reconsider. I have a friend (who is actually a rocket scientist, in fact) who taught himself to play. He compared it to learning to fly a helicopter: mega-4 limb work.

• Members

Hey, no issue with guitards using pedals as far as I'm concerned...but you bring up an excellent point.

However, if the OP asked "Which is harder drums or pedal steel guitar?", we might have to reconsider. I have a friend (who is actually a rocket scientist, in fact) who taught himself to play. He compared it to learning to fly a helicopter: mega-4 limb work.

And pedal steel uses the knee as well if I'm not mistaken....but I look at it like a piano with the 3 pedals. They get used, but for the most part not continually. Most of us use all 4 limbs all the time, either with double kick or some of us old farts with stomping hats...

• Members

Agreed, and I think there's a specific reason. I play guitar as well, but it takes more PERSONAL dedication to be a good drummer than a good guitarist. The pure answer as to why is physical in nature. You can be a fat dude on a living room couch and practice the guitar 24 hours a day while you watch
South Park
and improve on the guitar.

What? This entirely depends on the kind of music you are playing and the kind of guitarist you want to be. Jangly rhythm chords or chunky metal riffs are easy, even learning scales and pattern are easy, but applying them melodically and meaningfully is a whole other ball game. There are plenty of "fat dude" drummers out there, so I'm not sure what that has anything to do with drumming. I've played both for about 28 years now, and getting to the point of being a "good drummer" was far easier than keeping up my guitar playing and expanding that.

4 limb independence? You can teach most kids the basics of playing a drumkit in about 30 minutes. Give them a few days and most have it down. Of course mastery is something that comes with time.

• Members

Like i stated above I personally believe being a good drummer is harder. However I got to thinking about it and it is kind of reminiscent of algebra and geometry. Most people have one come easier than the other. So, that being said what might be harder for one person instrument wise may not be for another. One guy may get good on guitar easier than drums and vice versa. I do agree that it requires much more dedication to become good at drums simply because of the constraints on practice. That's just my opinion though.

• Members

I say guitar. I won a Fender Acoustic in a bar once. I tried to learn how to play it. I found it very hard. Of course I didn't take lessons or have anyone help me. Tried to learn from a Mel Bay book.

But really I'd say both have their own unique challenges.

I also play piano some and that is one hard instrument.

• Members

I started on drums and have played for about 25 years. I've noodled on guitar for the same amount of time and have been serious about guitar for about the past 7 years.

Both offer their own challenges. I don't think one is any "more or less" difficult than the other.

Yes drums require limb independence....but guitar requires finger independence. Drums occasionally require all 4 limb independence and guitar can frequently have 8 or 9 finger independence.

Dynamics are extremely important for both.

In the end...both are as difficult as you choose to make them.

Archived