Help on finding out how to get this tone

Dominic2oh9

• Members

At around 1:40 on this video there is a breakdown and the bass has this crazy tone that makes the whole breakdown sound amazing.

[video=youtube;Wvaeny6QFsY]

how can you achieve that bass tone? dont give me names of heads n stuff, just generally what do u think they did?

• Members

It's tough to hear layered under the guitars , sounds like a drop tuning , compression , I'd bet on sidechaining the bass to the kick with a gate as well . Lots of stuff going on there though and it's tough to say where the actual instruments are vs. vocoder,synths processing etc etc .

• Members

crab-coring

:thu:

I listened pretty intently to the crab-coring in that section and I pretty much can't hear the bass tone through the wall of guitar fuzz, but I can hear it during the guitar rest at that big slide at the beginning (1:42) of the section.

It occurred to me that I've played that exact slide with almost that exact tone. It occurs about 5 seconds in on the attached clip. No comments needed on the sound of the band/track, it was an old band nearly a decade ago.

It was just bass (Stingray) plugged into amp which was run flat. And, of course, some compression was applied at mix time.

• Members

OK, so I had to look up crab core. This was googles first definition......

Crabcore is a some weird-ass stance while playing some {censored}ty metalcore music that is now in the mainstream thanks to christfags Attack Attack!. It entails after playing over 9000 breakdowns, screaming like a whiny {censored} and wailing your guitar up and down like a kid on assburgers attempting to air guitar and crouching like a crab at the same time. The genre was pushed into the mainstream when the band decided their old version music video of "Stick Stickly" was not br00t4l enough to appeal to the metalhead fans which apparently the band thought they had many of them.

• Members

Crabcore is a some weird-ass stance while playing some {censored}ty metalcore music that is now in the mainstream thanks to christfags Attack Attack!. It entails after playing over 9000 breakdowns, screaming like a whiny {censored} and wailing your guitar up and down like a kid on assburgers attempting to air guitar and crouching like a crab at the same time. The genre was pushed into the mainstream when the band decided their old version music video of "Stick Stickly" was not br00t4l enough to appeal to the metalhead fans which apparently the band thought they had many of them.

Didn't you hear? Music has nothing to do with music these days.

• Members

true. its caught fire with the "hardcore" scene although. Attack Attack! is one of the most popular bands in the genre and COUNTLESS bands do "crabcore" now.

• Members

It's tough to hear layered under the guitars , sounds like a drop tuning , compression , I'd bet on sidechaining the bass to the kick with a gate as well . Lots of stuff going on there though and it's tough to say where the actual instruments are vs. vocoder,synths processing etc etc .

can you link me to a site about sidechaining? that sounds interesting

• Members

It doesn't sound like he's doing anything out of the ordinary. Boost the mids/highs, use a heavy attack with a pick, have a clean signal chain, and bam there you go. Maybe a slight overdrive?

• Members

It doesn't sound like he's doing anything out of the ordinary. Boost the mids/highs, use a heavy attack with a pick, have a clean signal chain, and bam there you go. Maybe a slight overdrive?

Pretty much. And it really should be something with a bridge pickup.

• Moderators

How do you really feel, PDB? :D

• Members

Well, it made me laugh my ass off for one, but it just suprized me that this was the first one listed......
:lol:

That's because it was a term made up then popularized by music bloggers (I think Buddyhead?), to lampoon this exact band's goofy music and stylings. I'll see if I can dig up the article... It was pretty funny.

• Members

can you link me to a site about sidechaining? that sounds interesting

I dont know about a site, but I can generally explain it. Dynamics processors have two distinct parts: using laymans terms, the part that senses the volume and the part that effects the volume. Sidechaining comes about when you use a different track for the part that senses than the track that you're running through the effect part. So for a gate, which opens and lets sound through, when there is sound in the one track, the gate will open and allow the sound of the second track to come though. This is commonly used for creating an artificially tight drum/bass combo by cutting out the bass when the kick is not opening the gate, or adding a static, constant sound to something that hits (like adding some square wave to your snare hits). In dance music, people often use the sidechain feature on a stereo buss compressor to create a 'ducking' effect (an effect where the volume of one track is reduced when there is sound coming from a second track) to lower the volume of the overall mix when the bass/kick track is present, creating a bigger bass in the mix.

• Members

I dont know about a site, but I can generally explain it. Dynamics processors have two distinct parts: using laymans terms, the part that senses the volume and the part that effects the volume. Sidechaining comes about when you use a different track for the part that senses than the track that you're running through the effect part. So for a gate, which opens and lets sound through, when there is sound in the one track, the gate will open and allow the sound of the second track to come though. This is commonly used for creating an artificially tight drum/bass combo by cutting out the bass when the kick is not opening the gate, or adding a static, constant sound to something that hits (like adding some square wave to your snare hits). In dance music, people often use the sidechain feature on a stereo buss compressor to create a 'ducking' effect (an effect where the volume of one track is reduced when there is sound coming from a second track) to lower the volume of the overall mix when the bass/kick track is present, creating a bigger bass in the mix.

would side chaining example be like in the band Born Of Osiris stuff then? where its super tight?

Archived