Just bought my first bass.

FlatFive

• Members

Question about the action for a bass... It is obviously much higher than my guitar, but I feel like its too high. I want to swap the strings out, and lower it a bit when I do so. How high do you bass brahs keep your action?

• Members

"Low" action is usually about 3/32" on the bass side and 1/16" on the treble side (space measured between string and 12th fret). Personally, 1/8" is a lot more than I like, and 1/4" is ridiculous. With any luck, the frets on that bass are fairly level and you'll be able to play it in the "low" realm without fret buzz.

• Members

What size strings, and what gauge do you prefer?

I am curious as to why you dont like the existing strings ? As with guitars, bass strings are a very personal choice. Personally I like the 45-105 gauge.

• Members

Yeah, right now its 1/4+.

What size strings, and what gauge do you prefer?

I'd agree with Perfesser and go with a 45-105 set in the $20 - $30 range for now. If you know what you're doing, lower the action on your own, otherwise, take it to a (good) tech or luthier for a setup.

Enjoy the new bass! :)

• Members

i hate fret buzz more than a high action, so my action is high enough to avoid buzz. Agree with the "personal" aspect of it. You just have to play the bass enough, and the wider strings will start feeling more natural.

• Members

I'd recommend a lighter gauge, I've used Rotosound RS 66 LB stings (35 to 90) for years in all sorts of situations and between the ease of playing (I have smallish hands), sound characteristics (once well broken in) and durability, not only physically but in sound as well, I am totally hooked. Plus it's fun to bend stings now and then. But no matter what brand or type, since you play guitar, you might find jumping to bass easier with a lighter set.

Oh yeah, nice Jazz Bass. There's been a P version of that (just the body) on ebay for a long time, because the guy is asking way too much but I'd love to have it.

Archived