First post in years, anybody know anything about Samick P basses?

Gaui

• Members

Some of you might remember me, I was quite active on here several years ago.

Since then I moved from Iceland to Canada, got a PhD and had no time for bass playing. Now that I am done with school and got a cushy new job, I can start playing again.

I just picked up this Samick P bass with a hard case for $40 on kijiji, anything know anything about those basses? Where were they made and when? It looks quite old, but feels really solid. No serial number anywhere to be found, have yet to look at the pots though.

Cheers,

Gaui

• Members

Welcome back! I remember you, the Icelander with a name that's harder to say than to read . XD

We have a guy named Kristinn Steindorsson playing soccer for us here in C-bus. From the Iceland, don't you know.

I had a Samick 5-string P/J, pretty solid, although somebody twisted the strings prior to my getting it. It never had any problems (neck, bridge and pickups all good), I traded it in for a better fiver, but it was fine, especially for the cost. Have fun!

Oh yeah - www.smcmusic.com

Looks like they have factories in China, Korea and Indonesia, but the company is based in Tennessee. I think mine was Korean, should say on the back of the headstock, IIRC.

• Members

Since I'm at work I can't see any pics you may have posted but if your bass has a 4-in-line headstock rather than the newer 2-on-a-side configuration you see on current Samicks, it dates before 1999 (http://101basses.com/bass-number-74-samick-p-bass/). Beyond that, Samick is the largest manufacturer of guitars in the world and they know how to make good stuff. It stands to reason that they'd do a good job on instruments that wear their own brand. I've never heard anything negative about their gear so for $40 with a hard case I think you did great. Congratulations and Happy New Bass Day.

• Members

Welcome back. EBay is usually loaded with them for under $100. So long as the necks not twisted and it plays OK you can always get better pickups for them. The company has been making some higher end basses too but I've never tried one. Basses aren't fast sellers so you can always score decently on the budget stuff. I'd probably choose a Squire Precision however. You can buy then nearly as cheap as other budget imports so it would be a matter of quality vs resale value for me.

• Members
Welcome back! I remember you, the Icelander with a name that's harder to say than to read . XD

We have a guy named Kristinn Steindorsson playing soccer for us here in C-bus. From the Iceland, don't you know.

I had a Samick 5-string P/J, pretty solid, although somebody twisted the strings prior to my getting it. It never had any problems (neck, bridge and pickups all good), I traded it in for a better fiver, but it was fine, especially for the cost. Have fun!

Oh yeah - www.smcmusic.com

Looks like they have factories in China, Korea and Indonesia, but the company is based in Tennessee. I think mine was Korean, should say on the back of the headstock, IIRC.

Thanks, Kristinn played for a team in my hometown, Breidablik, tidy player. Hope he will do well for you guys.

Thanks for the info, this bass plays very well, and that is all I was looking for at the moment. Hope to pick up a G&L fiver in the future, but this will do for now, and the price was right.

• Members
Since I'm at work I can't see any pics you may have posted but if your bass has a 4-in-line headstock rather than the newer 2-on-a-side configuration you see on current Samicks' date=' it dates before 1999 (http://101basses.com/bass-number-74-samick-p-bass/). Beyond that, Samick is the largest manufacturer of guitars in the world and they know how to make good stuff. It stands to reason that they'd do a good job on instruments that wear their own brand. I've never heard anything negative about their gear so for $40 with a hard case I think you did great. Congratulations and Happy New Bass Day.[/quote']

Thanks for the info, It has the 4 in line headstock, and does not have the fender style tuners, bit smaller. So that dates it before 1999 at least.

Yeah, the bass is solid, the neck is straight and it sounds like a P bass should, so I am happy with it, especially given the price. The hard case alone is going for more in the used market here.

• Members
Welcome back. EBay is usually loaded with them for under $100. So long as the necks not twisted and it plays OK you can always get better pickups for them. The company has been making some higher end basses too but I've never tried one. Basses aren't fast sellers so you can always score decently on the budget stuff. I'd probably choose a Squire Precision however. You can buy then nearly as cheap as other budget imports so it would be a matter of quality vs resale value for me.

Ebay was actually the first place I looked, but saw nothing like this one. Plenty of the newer Greg Bennet models (with tuners on both side of the headstock), but no basses that look like the one I have. Squire P would have been good as well, but they are going for quite a bit more in the used market here,$150ish for the affinity, way more for the higher end lines.

Archived