GFS Experts, please help

chiro972

• Members

OK guys, the search function is still not working, so sorry to start a new thread, but I need some suggestions on replacing my vintage noiseless pups on my deluxe players strat.

I never knew how much they sucked until I got my CV Squier 50's strat. That thing blows away my noiseless pups and they aren't any noisier either. So short of trying to find some pups from a CV squier, I figured Jay has a set or two that would be good. He get's a gazillion emails a day, so I don't want to bug him and who knows how fast he would be able to get a reply out.

I love blues, SRV style. Hendrix, Classic rock stuff. No super high gain stuff at all, just classic rock crunch. So which of the myriad of premium pups from GFS would fit the bill? He has the boston blues, the grey bottoms in staggered, non staggered, different winds. I'm totally confused.

Can anyone tell me which would be the best for the music I like to play?

Thanks!

• Members

The two sets of Strat pups I've been wanting to try from GFS are the Neovin. I don't know if that will fit your bill. They are noise cancelling pickups. And the Boston Blues Texas. The Blues may be what you are looking for. I haven't seen any reviews or clips but from the description they sound cool.

• Members

So you want to replace the Vintage Toneless pups on the Deluxe, eh? ;)

My advice is to be patient and look for a deal on some used Custom Shop '69 pickups or something like that.

Or get a hold of Bryan and have him hand wind you a set of Hendrix Woodstock pups .. BUT .. tell him you don't want vintage staggers. Be sure the G and B poles are shorter than that or the magnets are weaker. Either will work.

• Members

So you want to replace the Vintage Toneless pups on the Deluxe, eh?
;)

My advice is to be patient and look for a deal on some used Custom Shop '69 pickups or something like that.

Or get a hold of Bryan and have him hand wind you a set of Hendrix Woodstock pups .. BUT .. tell him you don't want vintage staggers. Be sure the G and B poles are shorter than that or the magnets are weaker. Either will work.

I know you have higher end pickups, but which sets of GFS single coils do you/have you owned, Doc? No need to give commentary on them, but which models do you have?

• Members

I have a set of the '64 Vintage Stagger Grey Bottoms coming in this week or next. I too am replacing a set of the vintage noiseless. I was looking at the CS '69's from Fender but didn't want to pay that much for what they go for plus new vol pots. I'll let you know what I thin of those when I install them.

• Members

I know you have higher end pickups, but which sets of GFS single coils do you/have you owned, Doc? No need to give commentary on them, but which models do you have?

Vintage Stagger '64 Greybottoms

Premium Alnico Vintage Staggers

Repro '50s Telecaster Alnico Bridge

Repro Vintage Tele Neck

Dream 180s (you know what these were on :D)

Mean 90s (not installed yet)

I realize this doesn't make me an expert by any stretch, but you're more than welcome to come over and A/B the installed sets against some of my others.

• Members

I've had a few sets:

60's Repro

Premium Alnico II

Vintage Alnico Stagger (stock in my Xaviere XV870)

They were all fine sounding pickups. I probably liked the Alnico II's the best, but the Vintage Alnico Staggers in my XV870 are just fine and will probably stay in the guitar.

For you, I'd look at either the Alnico II's or the 64 Greybottoms, maybe. The former if you want something a tad warmer with slightly rounded highs, and the latter if you want more classic, bright, woody, quacky tones. Though, they'll both sound nearly identical, I'm sure. You can't go wrong with either for what you're looking for.

• Members

Thanks for the inputs. What is the difference between the staggers and the non staggers? Jay seems to have about all his top end pickups with either option. Sorry to be such a dunce, I don't know much about pickups (obviously). And if it matters, I believe my deluxe has a 12" radius instead of the more standard 9.5"

• Members

I think the staggers were about getting a better balance with the 7.25" radius guitars, but then some folks grew to like the staggers even on flatter radii guitars.

Not to overanalyze it - as I'm VERY prone to do - but on the neck pickup, higher up... say from the 9th fret up, you get a unique lack of balance between the strings when you have the staggers on a ~12" radius guitar. The D, G and B strings get more bite than the high E.

I think I'd go for the the flats on a 12" radius guitar.

Archived