How do I adjust the action on my guitar?

crazycarl

• Members

I have an Ibanez GSA160 and I'd like to try setting the action a little lower. However I can't seem to figure out how to do it!

Here's a pic of the bridge:

img0009wy7.jpg

I tried adjusting the two hex screws on either side but couldn't get them to turn at all. I don't know if they're stuck or if I'm looking in the wrong place. Can anyone help me out? thanks

• Members

I tried adjusting the two hex screws on either side but couldn't get them to turn at all. I don't know if they're stuck or if I'm looking in the wrong place. Can anyone help me out? thanks

Are you talking about the screws that hold the bridge on! Don't mess with those.

Flip a saddle over. There may be set screws on the underside.

....................................................................................

Edit, you know what. I was wrong. According to the internet, you can't set each saddle individually. You do use the large hex nuts to adjust height. You probably need to detune the strings first and slowly try to work those out.

• Members

Are you talking about the screws that hold the bridge on! Don't mess with those.

Flip a saddle over. There may be set screws on the underside.

....................................................................................

Edit, you know what. I was wrong. According to the internet, you can't set each saddle individually. You do use the large hex nuts to adjust height. You probably need to detune the strings first and slowly try to work those out.

Ah, thank you! that worked out. sadly the strings were almost as low as they can get already... but I got them a little lower.

As far as new saddles, maybe I'll look into that if I get dissatisfied with how they are now.

Thanks again for responses!

• Members

yeah it is a bolt-on. I've never heard of doing that before but I'll check it out. (in case you haven't been able to tell I'm a total newbie to guitar maintenance)

That's alright. That's why this place is here, and why I come here; to learn new things. It essentially involves putting a small strip of material in the front of the neck pocket (closest to bridge). The strip should the whole width of the pocket and be about 1/2 an inch wide or so. For thickness, you will have to experiment, but usually it only takes a small amount to get things right. Say, the thickness of a thin guitar pick or so. When you put the neck back on, it will angle back a bit more and give you a more usable range of bridge adjustment.

Don't sweat it too much. It's a really common setup technique for bolt-ons.

Archived