High output pickups in a semi-hollow body?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

You may lose some of the "woody" characteristic of the semi. I don't think that it would feed back more at the same volume (not sure, just a guess). If you end up having to lower the pick-ups, you'd lose some bass response.

This is a question best answered by people like Brian at BG pups.

• Members

Is this just asking for feedback problems?

Does it sound good?

No real problem for me !

I had a Duncan JB in my full hollow Artcore for a while, and it sounded good through a Laney GH50 head n' cab.

The JB, was just not for me !

And this guy does not seem to have any ishooo's with his 5150 :thu:

ted-nugent-nc.jpg

Not hi out-put pu's but deff hi gain ampz !

• Members

i heard that, semi hollows + high output pups are very hard to controll

I don't think this is the case here.

If so, Gibson would not have droped their highest out put pu into a semi :thu:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Tom-Delonge-Signature-ES333-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=515625

Also, it depends how far you can stand from your amp !

I found that if i stood more than 6ft away, that above mentioned Laney gave me ZERO problems.

• Members

Is this just asking for feedback problems?

Does it sound good?

Feedback? No. Sustain? Yes!

I've got HO P'ups in a couple of semis and feedback is hardly an issue. Do not confuse a semi-hollow with a full hollow. Semi's don not have a feedback problem as the fulls do. Semis don't behave all that different than a solid bod does.

Does it sound good? Yes. Way closer sound to a solid body than you might suspect.

• Members

Don;t forget that for a while in the early 80s, Rike Emmett of Triumph was using a Famus, Jan Akkerman (a full-on hollowbody), first with DiMarzio Super Distortions, and then with EMG85s in it. He got some killer tones out of that guitar!

I forgot all about Jan Akkerman !

Great work with Jeff Beck too :thu:

. . . and the composer of the Miami Vice theme song.

• Members

I'm thinking of doing a swap:

My PRS SE Singlecut has a pair of vintage Dimarzio Super Distortions, and I have a Jay Turser JT-133 with Dimarzio Virtual PAFs.....

I'm looking for more of a classic LP sound from my Singlecut.....and turn my semi-hollow into a rock machine.

LP tone from a PRS you say, mmmmm . . .

. . . Duncan '59s would be my personal 1st choice for your guitar, or maybe some A2P's.

If that does not do it for you, i'll deff look into the Pearly Gates (named after Billy Gibbons' LP), or a CustomCustom/'59 combo, if you want a slightly hotter then vintage tone bridge pu.

Archived