NGD Sort of Happy

unistudent1980

• Members

g400

RIMG0188.jpg

pretty good value at @ $250AUD (about 150-170USD)2nd hand. It's a cool little guitar - ridiculously light, nice chunky neck (slim taper is kind of a misnomer ) great for bashing out power chords. Feels a little cramped at the upper frets though despite the access.

Couple of things though, I probably wouldn't of bought it at retail price($700AUD). There's just a few quality issues. The wraparound bridge is serviceable but feels pretty flimsy and a few overall workmaship issues that would've made me think twice. Control cavity's and HB routes are pretty sloppily routed, and the finish between the neck HB and the neck isn't up to par with the rest of the body. Also one of the inlays has been applied with too much glue and it seeped out and wasn't cleaned off properly.

Sounds like I have done a lot of whining and most of you will ask "Why'd I buy it?" it felt good and was a little different to everything else I had. Good little project platform though. Mean 90's and a better bridge being the 1st stop. Most of my issues are cosmetic and are at least hidden by various bits. Maybe it's unfair of me to comparing it to the workmanship on my PM20 which is a little bit more in terms of RRP.

• Members

HNGD!! I've noticed with the g400's that every one is a little different, especially the neck size. I have a chunky one too and love it. Good fretwork, decent pickups. Picked one up at the local GC this weekend and the neck was rail-thin. Enjoy (sort of) !!!

• Members

I've had the hots for an SG for a little while now. I've played probably 6 or 8 G400s and they've all been decent, but a couple were better than the others for sure. One guy traded in two Epi SGs. One was a black one with the big Custom inlays and the other was a white G400. The white one was marked $225 and the black one $400 or $450. The G400 absolutely played better than the black one.

I personally don't worry about finish issues in guitars in this range. I'm not knocking them... ALL my guitars are in this price range. To my ears, the bridge pickup in particular sounded absolutely outstanding for a $225 guitar. If it was pretty much any color other than white, I would have bought it.

Archived