BG HellaBucker vs SD and DM Humbuckers

dimibetan

• Members

There are people in this forum, somehow recommended this pickup.

I found some reviews comparing the HellaBucker to other pickups like the Seymour Duncan JB, Blackouts, DiMarzio Air Zone, etc.

Anyone tried the BG HellaBucker or other humbuckers they make?

How does it sound?

If things go great, I might buy one.

http://www.bg-pups.com/hb.html

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/product/BG+Pups/Hellabucker/10/1

• Members

I'm still waiting for my all Cream Bridge / 4 conductor / BG Bucker to arrive!

I will post review!

I'm hopping very chimey, twangy, snappy and articulate with every note ringing out when clean and vintage crunchy yet defined with gain

Does that make any sense?

Like the sound clips on the web site

Bryan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

No prob Bryan

By the way, which of your pups does MiniJimmyBoy (Youtube) have in his guitar for his rendition of Since I've been loving you?

Found the info: Lizard in the neck and BG Dark in the bridge.

Sounds great!

I'm gonna have to get me a Lizard for the neck I just know it

• Members

Hi Mario,

I'm working as fast as I can.

I should get to your pickup later next week.

Hope thats ok!!!

Dimi, if I can answer any questions about the HellaBucker please let me know.

Thanks,

Bryan Gunsher

BG Pups

What level of treble, mids, bass would you say it has?

• Members

Hi Mario,

I'm working as fast as I can.

I should get to your pickup later next week.

Hope thats ok!!!

Dimi, if I can answer any questions about the HellaBucker please let me know.

Thanks,

Bryan Gunsher

BG Pups

It ok, Bryan. I email you recently. Im the guy who ask for the white version of the HellaBucker.

I just want to know what other people would say about their experience on your products.

Thanks, anyway. I might be ordering from you by the end of next week.

• Members

Ok, so far in the bridge my Epi LP I've had SD Screaming Deamon - did not like. Loud, but not quite musical/chimey enough. I then went to a JB - better, but not quite there. I just put in a set of BG Hot 90's and am loving it like never before.

That all being said, I have a BG Hellebucker in the bridge of my Squire '51 and let me tell you, it has been my favorite axe since I put it in. Bryan recommended that I pair it with his Phatty in the neck, and he was spot on. I love my $100 guitar now.

I find the Hellebucker big, bold, ans in your face when you want it to be, but like was said above, it really cleans up well. The '51 has split coils, and it sounds good that way, too.

I was testing it out with my Blackheart Little Giant, and thought, "Wow, this sounds great". Then, the other day I had to do some testing on my Peavey Ultra 60. I got it cleaned up and ready to go, and grabbed the closest guitar which was...you guessed it, my '51.

I plugged it into my 4x12 and cranked it up in "Crunch Gain" mode first. I damm near blew my own head off. All I can say is WOW, what a sweet rock sound this thing made. After a while, I got crazy and went into "Ultra Gain" mode, and just died and went to heaven. Think the Scorpions' "Love at First Sting" sound! In fact, I had been practicing "Coming Home" from that album on the Blackheart, but this was a whole different sound with the big amp. I was floored by it. AND, on the clean channel for the opening riff, even more sweetness.

Just go for it, dude. You won't be sorry.

• Members

Actually, Im planning to upgrade my strat. Humbucker at the bridge and two single coils at neck and bridge.

Well, I really dont know where to start... I play different kinds of genres...

I was thinking: a jazzy, blues tone on the neck; bright and will sound good using an acoustic simulator on the middle; and high output and great sustain metal tone (but still sounds good on clean) on the bridge.

What pickups do you suggest?

• Members

I really like the way my '51 is set up with a Hellabucker in the bridge and a Phatty in the neck. It does everything I ask from it.

Just talk to Bryan and explain what you're looking for, and he'll set you straight. That's the beauty of dealing with him...he can wind anything you can think of.

• Members

:poke:

Man I try to avoid using "EQ" numbers as each guitar has it's own tonal characteristics. I'll say they have plenty of lows but not mud, strong mids to cut through mixes, but not nasal and plenty of highs but not really jangly but not ice picky either, good cut for solos.

Shamdog gave a nice description of it.

What guitar were you going to put it in?

• Members
Man I try to avoid using "EQ" numbers as each guitar has it's own tonal characteristics. I'll say they have plenty of lows but not mud, strong mids to cut through mixes, but not nasal and plenty of highs but not really jangly but not ice picky either, good cut for solos.

Shamdog gave a nice description of it.

What guitar were you going to put it in?

An Alder Strat. I want a lot of upper mid crunch.

• Members

What level of treble, mids, bass would you say it has?

The numbers that Dimarzio and Duncan assign to their tones are basically meaningless.

The Hellabucker is bassy and crunchy (mind you, my guitar and amp are rather dark and bass-y). It goes toe-to-toe with any hot HB I've tried, and comes out on top.

• Members

The numbers that Dimarzio and Duncan assign to their tones are basically meaningless.

The Hellabucker is bassy and crunchy (mind you, my guitar and amp are rather dark and bass-y). It goes toe-to-toe with any hot HB I've tried, and comes out on top.

Not really, they seem about right to me. Does the hella have a lot of upper mids?

Archived