Which Floyd?

unistudent1980

• Members

I like the OFR because you can buy replacement parts for it, you can't with a Ping (even tho it's $30 cheaper).

Absolute misinformation. The Ping (or Pingwell) made Floyd Rose is made to exact OFR specs. The only difference is how the logo is applied. That's how it actually has the "Floyd Rose" name on it.

• Members

Of that list, I'd choose the Schaller. I like the feel better than the OFR. As for price, I think of the Schaller as the premium version of the OFR. Thicker baseplate, more solid feel, etc..

I never liked the Schaller because it's a cast baseplate rather than a machined baseplate. A hardened, machined basedplate can take more abuse.

Honestly, I'd go with the Ping simply because it IS an OFR but less expensive. Another alternative would be the Gotoh GE1996T (the licensed Gotoh that AllParts distributes).

• Members

I never liked the Schaller because it's a cast baseplate rather than a machined baseplate. A hardened, machined basedplate can take more abuse.

Honestly, I'd go with the Ping simply because it IS an OFR but less expensive. Another alternative would be the Gotoh GE1996T (the licensed Gotoh that AllParts distributes).

I've got the Schaller on my Charvel, which was bought in 1993.. That thing has been beat to {censored} by myself and another owner, and the baseplate is still fine. It's the mass of that baseplate that makes the difference, IMHO..

• Members

Absolute misinformation. The Ping (or Pingwell) made Floyd Rose is made to exact OFR specs. The only difference is how the logo is applied. That's how it actually has the "Floyd Rose" name on it.

I have to disagree.

No matter what the specs say, I've owned both and the Ping I had did not sound as good as any OFR I've owned since the early Kramer days. Let's just say that the "ping" lives up (or down) to its name. In addition, the chrome plating started peeling off mine after about 6 months of light use.

I'd spend the extra $30 and get an Original FR. Best "floyd" there is. Second, imo, would have to be an Ibanez Edge. I don't like the bulky feel of the Schallers or the blade inserts. Harkens back to the old Jackson Floyds, which I also didn't like...

• Members

I had a Ping and I tried to buy a new saddle for it (the original saddle got fubared when I tried to tune up a 10.5 gauge string on it). Nobody could tell me if an OFR saddle would fit, they weren't sure.

And I wanted to get a big brass block from FloydUpgrades.com and I was told by Mitchell @ AXcessories.com that it wouldn't fit a Ping because the baseplate holes don't line up with the big brass block holes.

• Members

I've got the Schaller on my Charvel, which was bought in 1993.. That thing has been beat to {censored} by myself and another owner, and the baseplate is still fine. It's the mass of that baseplate that makes the difference, IMHO..

Different strokes for different folks. :thu:

My preferred setup would be the Ping with a brass block. :love: My cousin had an '80s OFR on one of his guitars and he just upgraded the block with a brass one and the difference was awesome.

• Members

I had a Ping and I tried to buy a new saddle for it (the original saddle got fubared when I tried to tune up a 10.5 gauge string on it). Nobody could tell me if an OFR saddle would fit, they weren't sure.

Yes, an OFR saddle would fit. Hell, an OFR saddle would even fit most of the cheap copies as long as it's not low-profile.

And I wanted to get a
from FloydUpgrades.com and I was told by Mitchell @ AXcessories.com that it wouldn't fit a Ping because the baseplate holes don't line up with the big brass block holes.

That's... Odd. Although I would trust Mitch. I'd imagine that he had tried. However, it was my understanding that Floyd Rose himself commissioned the Ping OFRs and the stipulation was that it be made to the same spec as what Mr. Rose had been having Schaller make for him. Yes, OFRs are made by Schaller. In Germany.

• Members

Building a partscaster and not sure which to buy

OFR?

PING?

Gotoh?

Schaller?

My first choice would be the Schaller, second choice the OFR.

Also why is the OFR cheaper than the schaller?

The Schaller is a better quality trem made with better materials. This is not an opinion but a fact.

• Members

I have to disagree.

No matter what the specs say, I've owned both and the Ping I had did not sound as good as any OFR I've owned since the early Kramer days. Let's just say that the "ping" lives up (or down) to its name. In addition, the chrome plating started peeling off mine after about 6 months of light use.

I'd spend the extra $30 and get an Original FR. Best "floyd" there is. Second, imo, would have to be an Ibanez Edge. I don't like the bulky feel of the Schallers or the blade inserts. Harkens back to the old Jackson Floyds, which I also didn't like...

I guess we'll agree to disagree. My friend has the Ping on a couple of his guitars and I liked the sound and feel of them. Compared well to the pre-screw collar arm black OFR that I have.

• Members

My first choice would be the Schaller, second choice the OFR.

The Schaller is a better quality trem made with better materials. This is not an opinion but a fact.

Please don't say that the sky is blue. I will simply stop believing the sky is blue.

• Members

Please don't say that the sky is blue. I will simply stop believing the sky is blue.

I am just stating the facts here. BTW you are the only person I know who likes ping anything. I bet you like plywood bodies too. :poke:

• Members

Yes, an OFR saddle would fit. Hell, an OFR saddle would even fit most of the cheap copies as long as it's not low-profile.

That's... Odd. Although I would trust Mitch. I'd imagine that he had tried. However, it was my understanding that Floyd Rose himself commissioned the Ping OFRs and the stipulation was that it be made to the same spec as what Mr. Rose had been having Schaller make for him. Yes, OFRs are made by Schaller. In Germany.

Yeah, I wanted to upgrade my Ping with a bigger brass block, and it was a disapointment that I couldn't.

You don't have all of these headaches with an OFR, there are plenty of replacement parts for OFRs and places to get them.

Plus, like I said before, "The Key" fits it.

• Members

I am just stating the facts here. BTW you are the only person I know who likes ping
anything
. I bet you like plywood bodies too. :poke:

No... I'm actually quite snobbish when it comes to body woods.

Ping gets a bad rap because they did make {censored}ty stuff in the '90s. However, lots of people are absolutely fine with the tuners and bridges on MIM Fenders and those are made by Ping.

• Members

Yeah, I wanted to upgrade my Ping with a bigger brass block, and it was a disapointment that I couldn't.

You don't have all of these headaches with an OFR, there are plenty of replacement parts for OFRs and places to get them.

Plus, like I said before, "The Key" fits it.

Well, the problem with The Key not fitting other bridges is the Whale Tail shape. That's my only complaint about the Gotoh... The Whale Tail has an odd shape that even makes d-Tunas a little odd.

• Members

And I wanted to get a
from FloydUpgrades.com and I was told by Mitchell @ AXcessories.com that it wouldn't fit a Ping because the baseplate holes don't line up with the big brass block holes.

has anybody upgraded their Ibanez Edge with the big block from this site? looks intriguing, but its also $40. i dunno.

http://floydupgrades.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=195

• Members

Here are some more opinions from some "guys in the know" (Kramer fans):

Kramer Forum Floyd vs. others debate

As you can tell from reading responses, people like what they like. It would be best to go to a store and play what you can and decide for yourself. However, IMO, the Floyd issue comes down to the baseplate. That is the "irreplaceable" part of the floyd trem. The OFR has a SOLID plate made of hardened steel (made in Germany) and has been that way for 30+ years. Many have tried to imitate, but it can't be done.

Here's another from "Jemsite":

Jemsite Floyd Debate

The last poster on that thread touts the Gotoh as the best out there. By all accounts, I've heard it's quite good, and I think member _PETE_ here put one on his LP. He said that it's great, IIRC. Gotoh also makes the "Edge" (Ibanez), which is the best "OEM" type Floyd copy I've ever owned/used.

• Members

Plus, if you get the OFR, not only will all the aforementioned parts ("the key" for intonation, D-tuna) fit, but you have resources available to you. Plus, their resale is high. You can almost resell them for what you paid, if you buy it at Warmoth and keep it in good shape.

Here's the Floyd Rose resource page, with routing templates and a complete spare parts list:

http://www.floydrose.com/instructions.html

Archived