I need magic

danuniversal

• Members

I have only $117

I don't live in USA...

WHat I need is a very good amp that I can afford with that money.

The kind of tones I need is classic rock, and hard rock.

But specially, something like Santo & Johnny, or the Ventures, with a Rotary speaker,

The only amplifier I though is the Vox Da5

lg_da5_front.jpg

It appears to have a rotary speaker simulator.

lg_da5_top.jpg

But I am not sure.

Anyway, it could be another without a rotary speaker.

The real problem here is that I am gonna use it to play in a gig, in a festival with an afford of 22000 in a day. Obviously, no everybody is watching the band, so I think it will be this: 30 minutes with a public of 100-800.

I am planning to mic the amp, so I hope it will not be problems.

I just need a cheap decent amp.

• Members

Where do you live? For $100, you're not going to have an easy time finding a gig-worthy amp...

I am now in Mexico City.

I do not believe that the other bands are going to have a fantastic gear.

I hope the music can save me from this...

• Members

$117 for an amp that will support live play? Tough call. That amp you posted is a practice amp and probably won't get the job done live.

Your best bet is going to be something like this run DI. If the PA has good monitors you should be able to pull it off fairly well.

265301.jpg

• Members
$117 for an amp that will support live play? Tough call. That amp you posted is a practice amp and probably won't get the job done live.

Your best bet is going to be something like this run DI. If the PA has good monitors you should be able to pull it off fairly well.

265301.jpg

I agree that at that price point, the best you can do is the V-Amp 2 going direct into a PA.

• Members

But I heard about a lot of people that likes more the sound of the vox da5 than the sound of a stuff like that.

It's not the quality of the sound that's the issue. The issue is that it's a practice amp, and will not work for a live show. If you don't have a loud enough amp, you will need to be mic'ed or run through the PA. That's why they were offering the suggestion of one of the amp modelers. Since you don't have a lot of money, it might be the best option.

• Members

But if I am going to mic the amp anyway...

Does this means that is the same to use an amp than that v-amp 2?

I'm still thinking in the vox da5, also I have seen videos like this, that show that the vox da5 is a great amp, and if I am going to mic it, there will not be any problem.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

With the V-Amp2 you'd be going direct into the PA, no mic. It will give the soundman more control over the sound as he won't have to worry about anything bleeding into a mic for that Vox.

It's possible the Vox could work but if the bass player for instance is on the stage next to you with a real rig, it's possible his sound will leak into your mic, perhaps even overpowering the toy amp and if that happens you're pretty much screwed.

If you've got a good sound man and he can isolate the Vox, has some good directional mics he might be able to give you a good mix through the monitors. If you go direct with the V-Amp he will have total control with zero chance for any bleed through.

There are a lot of guys gigging with modelers these days. Most sound men will know exactly what to do if you show up with one. Not many pro musicians however will show up for a gig with a practice amp and you're kinda taking a chance that the sound man will be able to make that work. You could get lucky though... :idk:

• Members

But if I am going to mic the amp anyway...

Does this means that is the same to use an amp than that v-amp 2?

I'm still thinking in the vox da5, also I have seen videos like this, that show that the vox da5 is a great amp, and if I am going to mic it, there will not be any problem.

There will be a problem with a practice amp like that. You will get a lot of bleed through from the band into your mic. You may not get a strong enough signal from just the guitar, isolated, to make that option worthwhile. I'm sorry, but you'll probably need a better amp than what you can afford.

A 5 watt solid state amp with a 6 inch speaker is not going to do the job.

Mic'ing an amp in a studio setting, alone, is a different situation that trying to mic live.

• Members

You're just not going to get a "very good" live amp for $117 ANYWHERE. Especially given that you are looking for something that will give you hard rock tones, + good clean with reverb (Santos and Johnny, venture) etc.

You are either going to have to decide which (the brootalz or classic) you want OR rent an amp. Nothing you can buy for that kind of money is going to do the job you expect - it's simply impossible.

• Members

I am not sure about the kind of PA system we will have.

Its a big place, so I hope they bring a good PA system.

I understand that that V amp is my best choice. But another problem here, is how to find that thing in the stores...

BUt now, I have another question. The V amp, and the Vox Pathfinder have a output line, so there is no problem to mic. But, which of both has a better tone for my needs? Do not consider the rotary speaker.

• Members

no way u gonna get what u want for that kinda money. v-amps sound like boiled ass no matter what u do to em.mabe see if you can get a pod 2.0 somewhere... bt you still have the problem of changing tones...but then u bought a genuine marshall jtm45 (1967) for a hunderd and fifty quid a while back (score of the century) so gett hitting yard sales, car boots flea markets !!

Archived