machine head does not fit

higaintele

• Members

You might be doing it wrong.

What brand are your tuners lad? Different brands have different sizes, and some are exclusive to certain applications.

Also, picture's always help.

What he said...

... except I might not have said "lad".

• Members

+1000!!!
Good call! So someone does not have to learn that the hard way!!

Yep.

DO NOT USE A DRILL

all you will do is crack/split/chip the headstock

DO NOT USE A DRILL

a hand-reamer is your friend:

reamer500.jpg

DO NOT USE A DRILL

• Members

If you are using a hand reamer on a polyurethane headstock get the finish good and hot with a hair dryer first- Otherwise you can create Quarter sized chips in the finish- I usually carve away the edge with an Xacto knife first and then use the reamer to ONLY take away wood- not finish. Trust me on this one.

jay

• Members
If you are using a hand reamer on a polyurethane headstock get the finish good and hot with a hair dryer first- Otherwise you can create Quarter sized chips in the finish- I usually carve away the edge with an Xacto knife first and then use the reamer to ONLY take away wood- not finish. Trust me on this one.

jay

You need a sharper reamer :poke:

:D

Seriously, only a dull edge removes chips. A sharp reamer will cut the finish just as well as your X-acto.

• Members

Will a hand reamer be the best tool for what is essentially a counterbore?

Won't the peghead side be enlarged before he reaches the right depth for the counterbore?

slightly... I usually ream a bit from both sides. It does leave a slight taper with the tightes-fitting spot in the middle, but I've seen no ill-effects from it.

Just don't go nuts with it.

Archived