De-staggering staggered pickups.

Vantango84

• Members

So, maybe you saw my last thread about this issue...

I got some pickups from GFS, the 64 staggers... I I love the sound, but my god, I can barely hear the B and E strings. I've read that a lot of people have this issue with staggered pickups...

sooooo, is it possible to sand-down, cut-down, or otherwise de-stagger strat pickups? Has anyone done this? It seems, logically, like it would be possible, but it also seems like it just might not work out at all.

• Members

are you putting the pickups in level? i always have the treble side higher than the bass. to the pickup itself is slanting up like a ramp towards the B and e strings.

I'd try adjusting the hight of both sides of the pickup, that should help you out

• Members

just tap them down. I bet the PUP will break though. If they were Fender PUPs you could probably get away with it but then again if they were Fender you'd probably not have the problem in the first place.

I have this issue with stock MIA strat pups. I'll probably end up swapping them out eventually though.

• Members

I have this issue with stock MIA strat pups. I'll probably end up swapping them out eventually though.

Yeah I was half joking about the Fender PUPs, this has been a common problem since what the mid-50s when they started staggering? One of the PUP makers talks about how many people just tapped the G pole down but this often would cause the magnet to seperate from the coil so they don't recommend it.

I actually prefer a slight raised D and G ala Lindy Fralin. (On a Tele anyway) but I think the combo of 7.25" and slight stagger works best.

• Members

I actually prefer a slight raised D and G ala Lindy Fralin. (On a Tele anyway) but I think the combo of 7.25" and slight stagger works best.

I like that on a strat too. The issue with the stock pups, is the G on the neck pup is up a little too high, so it causes problems before the E and B can be dialed in right. The middle and bridge are fine. I've found a good compromise angling the neck pup, but I don't like the stock pups enough to really stress over it or try to mid them. Eventually they will come out.

• Members

Yea, because as you said, when you angle the entire pickup, you angle the G closer, too, and the E and B are closer to being balanced, but then the G is just loud as {censored}.

Maybe I can find someone that wants to trade pups sometime.

• Members

Not like a new set of GFS pups are going to send you to the poor house. Try another non-stagger set and sell those ones.

For an under-employed college student who has to buy $100 worth of books this week, it kinda will. I can wait a month or so to get some different pickups.

• Members

When I make staggered pickups I charge each magnet different to balance each string. This pretty much eliminates this problem.

Sanding the poles isnt a good idea. Niether is tapping down the pole, unless you know for sure the pickup is made with a plastic bobbin where the poles are in slot and do not actually have wire wound around them.

Archived