Punk guitarist - question

Insane

• Members

Who do you think has/had the best punk tone of all time? For me, it's very hard to decide. I love The Clash, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Bad Religion's tones. More modern bands would be No Use For A Name and NOFX. If I had to pick just one, I think I'd pick No Use's tone. It's just wonderful to my ears.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Ratdawg

Didn't know "punk" was about tone.

Be punk, seek your own tone. (and it even rimes:cool: )

It's not about tone. Some tones "sound" better to the ears than others though.

• Members

Sry. Had to say something like that. It was stronger than myself.

Tone in punk music is one of the hardest things to discribe.

But if you really wanna know, here my shot:

Social D

Exploited, Beat The Bastards (dunno if you still consider this punk)

Green Day, Dookie en after except from Nimrod.

• Members

I like East Bay Ray's Surf tone - Dead Kennedys.

Also:

Billy Zoom from X

Mike Ness - Social D

Tim and Lars - Rancid

I tend to play a mixture of these tones - usually a Gretsch Silverjet through a Marshall like Billy Zoom - but more distorted like Mike Ness. On some songs I use higher gain in Bad Religion territory.

NOFX has a pretty cool tone - El Hefe uses a Tele through a Dual Rectifier. I assume he has a hot rails pickup in there somewhere. Eric plays an LTD Les Paul copy through a Dual Rec (last time i saw them a year ago).

• Members

My two picks

1) Social Distortion, by far. I'm going to see them live on the 12th of this month and can't wait.

2) Green Day(ok, really not punk most will say) but I seen them live on Wednesday night for the first time, and I gotta say their tone was absolutely killer.

Tone is really all about what you like though.

• Members

Originally posted by 72 bonne

My two picks

1) Social Distortion, by far. I'm going to see them live on the 12th of this month and can't wait.

2) Green Day(ok, really not punk most will say) but I seen them live on Wednesday night for the first time, and I gotta say their tone was absolutely killer.

Tone is really all about what you like though.

Yeah Green Day has always had a awesome tone. Dookie was wonderful IMO.

And to me, They are as punk as any other punk band. If they were making the SAME EXACT MUSIC on Fat Wreck, Epitaph or any other small label, everyone would call them "punk". They seem to forget it's all about the music. So what if they sell a million records? So what if they make enough money to take care of their families? Fat Mike from NOFX has said Green Day is one of the only punk bands who did a successful change to a major label.

Also, check out the Switchblade Kittens. They have a pretty cool thing that they do with basses. Great tone.

Oh yeah, have to agree on East Bay Ray. DK was one of my first fav punk bands.

• Members

Steve Jones

Minor Threat on "Out of Step" although I didn't think Ian started playing guitar till post-Minor Threat. Brian Baker and the other guy whose name I can't remember.

Offspring

Guitar on "The Saints" first two records.

Bad Brains

Brian James on the first Damned record.

East Bay Ray

• Members

Originally posted by blackmonday

I like East Bay Ray's Surf tone - Dead Kennedys.

Also:

Billy Zoom from X

Mike Ness - Social D

Tim and Lars - Rancid

I tend to play a mixture of these tones - usually a Gretsch Silverjet through a Marshall like Billy Zoom - but more distorted like Mike Ness. On some songs I use higher gain in Bad Religion territory.

NOFX has a pretty cool tone - El Hefe uses a Tele through a Dual Rectifier. I assume he has a hot rails pickup in there somewhere. Eric plays an LTD Les Paul copy through a Dual Rec (last time i saw them a year ago).

Last I seen, El Hefe and Melvin were using Mark IV's. Maybe they use both..

• Members

Ian just sang with Minor Threat. But yeah, MT's guitar tone was great.

Also the Ramones, "Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World" as one example.

A little band called Sutek Conspiracy was also brilliant. None of you have probably seen/heard them. Small punker girl playing an SG through a Laney. Most lovely.

• Members

I loved early Green Day tone, but American Idiot and their current live tone...oh my GOD. I've been pickup swapping and redialing my amp on literally on a daily basis since I saw them, trying to get close to that. Huge and clear, but with a lot of drive and grit. Amazing.

And just for reference, El Hefe uses EMGs in his Tele - not sure which exact models though.

• Members

Originally posted by yabba

greg ginn.

UGLY!
:D:mad:

Yes. Rise Above from the Damaged album will make you pee yourself!

Also: Stephen Egerton of Descendents/ALL, Greg Hetson of Circle Jerks/Bad Religion, and Fletcher from Pennywise.

Archived