Fender Classic Players 50's Strat

Lt_Core

• Members

I'm 95% decided on buying a mint used CP 50's Strat with a Duncan Lil 59 in the bridge. Comes with original bridge pickup, too. I played a new one at a local guitar store and loved it. Only second to the Eric Johnson Strat (played those two, new Road Worn Strats, Classic 60's and American Standard).

What do you guys think of the CP 50's Strat? Thanks!

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0141102344

• Members

How do I like them? I own two.
;)

Nice! Any differences between the 2006 version and the 2008 version? The one I'm buying is from 2006 and is in Shoreline Gold. The Shoreline Gold is not lacquered right? Maybe a poly covering?

• Members

Nice! Any differences between the 2006 version and the 2008 version? The one I'm buying is from 2006 and is in Shoreline Gold. The Shoreline Gold is not lacquered right? Maybe a poly covering?

The Classic Players that are Custom Shop designed are supposed to be a thinner skinned polyester than the regular production MIM guitars. The only MIMs that are nitro are the Road Worn series.

I'm not aware of any differences between the '06 & '08 models on the '50s Player, only the '60s Player.

• Members

The Classic Players that are Custom Shop designed are supposed to be a thinner skinned polyester than the regular production MIM guitars. The only MIMs that are nitro are the Road Worn series.

I'm not aware of any differences between the '06 & '08 models on the '50s Player, only the '60s Player.

Excellent! The deal is the CP 50's w/ Lil 59 installed and original bridge pup for $425 + my Blues Pro pedal (or $500 cash). Not a bad deal, especially considering Fender's recent price hikes.

• Members

Sounds good.

Have you made any mods to your CP 50's? I'm assuming they handle low to medium overdrive pretty well. Of course it has that classic Strat clean chime.

I'm adding this guitar to my Les Paul, Ibanez SZ720 (which I want to sell) and PRS SE. My main gigging amp is a Rivera Chubster 40 with a Pedaltrain 2 board filled with pedals. Fun having toys :)

• Members

I have a classic players 60's tele. I love it, but in regards to the thickness of the poly coat on classic players series guitars, it's still pretty thick. Mine had a chunk of poly that had cracked off under the picguard and I could see how thick the coat was. Thinner than my kid's affinity strat, but still pretty thick coat.

Not that I actually think anyone can hear the difference. I know I can't

• Members

Have you made any mods to your CP 50's? I'm assuming they handle low to medium overdrive pretty well. Of course it has that classic Strat clean chime.

The first one I bought was used and the guy screwed up a tone mod. The second one was new on clearance so it's stock.

I plan to leave the stock '57/'62 pups and stock wiring in the second one. The first one will get a pickup swap and some wiring mods. It's going to get a set of CS Fat '50s, Hot Golds, or Duncan Vintage pups.

On the stock pups, I've read at FDP by Smark they do clean pretty well but don't do as well under overdrive. I always play clean with these pickups so I can't comment.

• Members

The first one I bought was used and the guy screwed up a tone mod. The second one was new on clearance so it's stock.

I plan to leave the stock '57/'62 pups and stock wiring in the second one. The first one will get a pickup swap and some wiring mods. It's going to get a set of CS Fat '50s, Hot Golds, or Duncan Vintage pups.

On the stock pups, I've read at FDP by Smark they do clean pretty well but don't do as well under overdrive. I always play clean with these pickups so I can't comment.

That might work out perfect since I'll be using the neck/middle for mostly clean playing and the Duncan L'il 59 humbucker for overdrive sounds. The pickup wiring on this guitar is back to regular Strat wiring so I'm all good there. Thanks for the info!

• Members
That might work out perfect since I'll be using the neck/middle for mostly clean playing and the Duncan L'il 59 humbucker for overdrive sounds. The pickup wiring on this guitar is back to regular Strat wiring so I'm all good there. Thanks for the info!

That should work out great.

Archived