Upgrading Pickups / Customising a Guitar

jabuerctu

• Members

Hi,

I'm thinking of picking up a cheap 2nd hand strat copy a pacifica or AXL or something like that and I want to have a play with upgrading the pickups.

Is this easy to do? Are there any good sites with a tutorial or anything to that effect?

What else could I do to it apart from upgrading the pickups?

Any advise on customising a guitar welcome :) Quite interested in this now!

Thanks,

Adam

• Members

There's plenty you can do to customize a guitar...you can customize it to the point it's not even the same guitar anymore....or customize to the point that it wasn't even a guitar when it started (parts-caster). If your not shy with a solder gun then yes it's a great experience. If you need tutorials then just you-tube it. If you buy Seymour Duncan pickups they come with a wiring diagram with them.

You can upgrade the actual electronics like the pots, the wires themselves, the switches, upgrade the bridge, change up the pickguard/pickuprings/knobs for different colours, if it's a bolt-on you can change out the neck for something else. Throw in a kill switch, in/out-phase switch...I could go on for a while man...

• Members

It's a lot of fun. I have turned my cheapie Epi SG into a pretty good player.

If you are doing for a fun hobby, it's great but don't think that you can get your investment back out of it if you decide to sell. You won't.

I have got a lot of enjoyment out of seeing my sg grow up into a real guitar.

Do some studying, take your time and do it right and you may end up with a pretty good guitar.

And yes, SD has some of the best wiring diagrams out there. They have one for just about any pickup and control combination you can imagine.

EG

Archived