A Strat is a Strat is a Strat.....right?

streetknight

• Members

I think a lot of us would agree that a strat is one of the most versatile and mod friendly instruments available to us. With that being said, since the electronics are so easy to change, you have infinite tonal possibilities as far as the pups, pots, etc are concerned.

If you have a comfy neck and a good resonant body, then haven't you really got all the bases covered. You can change any hardware or electronic issues that you don't like, but the neck and body are crucial.

I have an American Standard Strat that I love everything about, but GAS commands me to go strat shopping. I've tried American Deluxes all the way down to the new Squier Classic Vibes (which are stellar by the way)

I really think I want a Classic Player 60's, cause I love those pups that come in them. But I found a used MIM strat that had the most comfy neck and was really resonant. I liked it as well and better than most I played.

Now this guitar is a lot cheaper than most and I could mod it to my liking and save a ton of money.

So fellow formites, what's your opinion on Strats?

• Members

Absolutely street. I have a Standard MIA 90s strat which, like you I would never part with. I've not played a neck like it. Could be it's a one off, but at the moment I want another guitar and it will be a MIM telecaster. I have tried them and they are absolutely superb instruments. They sound and feel beautiful and no one in a gig will ever know that its a MIM - anyways , so what if they do. You play the instrument for what it does to your playing. I have absolutely no qualms about going down the Baja path.:)

• Members

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. You can find a jem every now and then. I'll tell ya, the Squier Classic Vibe 60's strat I played yesterday really caught my attention until I found this used MIM, (it's the owner of the shop's personal guitar)

That Squier is a great guitar.

I've played some very crappy strats, either the neck felt bad, or it just didn't ring when it wasn't plugged in. I think if you get those 2 things covered, you can fix anything else.

• Members

Absolutely street. I have a Standard MIA 90s strat which, like you I would never part with. I've not played a neck like it. Could be it's a one off, but at the moment I want another guitar and it will be a MIM telecaster. I have tried them and they are absolutely superb instruments. They sound and feel beautiful and no one in a gig will ever know that its a MIM - anyways , so what if they do. You play the instrument for what it does to your playing. I have absolutely no qualms about going down the Baja path.
:)

I agree completely, I saw a guy in Nashville playing a MIM Tele, and he was doing things to that guitar that should be against the law (do a youtube search on J.D. Simo and you'll see what I mean)

• Members

Except that the curious thing is that no matter what pickups you put in there, it will still sound largely like a strat. The same is even more true for a tele. I put some p90 style pickups in a tele and it still sounded very distinctively tele, and not that far from its original sound.

• Members

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. You can find a jem every now and then. I'll tell ya, the Squier Classic Vibe 60's strat I played yesterday really caught my attention until I found this used MIM, (it's the owner of the shop's personal guitar)

That Squier is a great guitar.

I've played some very crappy strats, either the neck felt bad, or it just didn't ring when it wasn't plugged in. I think if you get those 2 things covered, you can fix anything else.

I agree with you. Although you can change out necks and bodies, if you find a very resonant guitar with a comfortable neck, eveything else is changable.

I have spoken with people who really know and love Fender guitars who found MIM Fenders that were every bit as good as a MIA strat or tele. They are out there, but as with anything else, you need to look long and hard to insure that you are satisfied with your decision.

• Members

:thu:My Yamaha RGS 121 (H-S-H) that I bought for $119 many years ago has the one of nicest action, tone, vesatility, and neck in my 40+ guitar collection. I prefer it over my Fender MIM,MIJ, and MIA Fender strats.

My runner up in the 'favorite' strat catagory is my MIJ Fender Aerodyne strat. The looks are as nice as the playability and tone of the guitar.:thu:

• Members

If you liked the way the MIM played, then do it. I have both Classic Vibe Strats and they are wonderful guitars. Either way you go, you're going to wind up with a great guitar.

I think you're doing all the right things to find you perfect Strat... playing every single one you can and have answered your own question.

If the MIM is the one that "spoke" to you, definetly go with that one.

As you mentioned, pups can be changed. I dropped some CS 69 into my Strat and couldn't be happier.

:thu:

• Members

I think you're doing all the right things to find you perfect Strat... playing every single one you can and have answered your own question.

If the MIM is the one that "spoke" to you, definetly go with that one.

As you mentioned, pups can be changed. I dropped some CS 69 into my Strat and couldn't be happier.

:thu:

Yeah, I can't see paying for what Fender wants for the Classic Player 60's strat even though I love it. Plus this MIM, I can trade an amp I don't use anymore for it and not have any out of pocket $ in it. :D

• Members

I have come to the conclusion that 'Strat' is just a body shape made by fender.

You can have lots of different woods for the body and the neck. Different fretboard materials, nuts and tuners. Almost any combination of pickup types you care to imagine.

A bit Like toyota corollas. Lots of model diferences but the same name.

Not a problem for me. Just makes it dificult when people start banging on about 'that strat sound'. Without saying which one they mean.

Archived