Force needed for press-in bushings?

Verence

• Members

I'm installing a set of vintage fender style (11/32) tuners.

The press-in bushings do NOT want to go in. I'll have to either use a hammer to pound them in or enlarge the holes slightly with a file.

Is the fit supposed to be that tight? What are the chance that I'll snap the headtock in half if I hammer in six too-tight bushings? :facepalm:

• Members
That's a pretty good idea. I bet I could pretty easily find a C-clamp for cheap.
:thu:

While you're looking for the clamp, look for some adhesive felt pads (like you'd use for the bottom of furniture) to stick to the clamp. That will protect the finish on the guitar better than just a rag or something for cushioning. The heavy felt pads are 1/8" thick or so and will offer a great non-marring surface so you don't ding anything up.

• Members

Be careful with press in bushings. It's worth spending a bit of time to enlarge the holes slightly so the bushings will press in without to much pressure. If you're forcing the bushings in then the hole is to small and you might split the headstock. I put them in with thumb and arm pressure only. Mostly I'm putting them in other peoples guitars, so I don't take chances.

• Members

You're going to crack the headsock with all this wonderful HC advice.

Go to Home Depot and buy a "reamer" they cost around 10 bucks.

ad2d_1.JPG

If the hole is big enough so it's just a tad too tight to push in with your fingers, pressing it in will NOT crack the headstock. IF however, it's such a drastic difference that you need brute strength to get it in, it may.

One thing to keep in mind though, odds are the holes are drilled for vintage style bushing which are "press-in". It only goes up in size from there, and if it was drilled for something else, the bushings would be sloppy instead of too tight.

• Members

If the hole is big enough so it's just a tad too tight to push in with your fingers, pressing it in will NOT crack the headstock.

+1. Have pushed in hundreds of bushings and have never cracked a headstock.

• Members
odds are the holes are drilled for vintage style bushing which are "press-in". It only goes up in size from there, and if it was drilled for something else, the bushings would be sloppy instead of too tight.

That's kinda what I figured too.

I'm just going to go with the c-clamp and some scrap wood and padding. :thu:

• Members

I'm talking about the "blow with a hammer" advice. Using a clamp or drill press is a recipe for disaster too. As a matter of fact, if you can't press them in firmly with your bare fingers I would avoid any tools.

Especially if the tuners are 6 in a line. You'll split that wood for sho.

• Members

I'm talking about the "blow with a hammer" advice. Using a clamp or drill press is a recipe for disaster too. As a matter of fact, if you can't press them in firmly with your bare fingers I would avoid any tools.

I can say with absolute 100% certainty from experience that this is simply not true, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and keep saying it.

Factories use a press for this very purpose. Also, A dead blow hammer with a hard wood dowel and proper support below works well too.

Edit: Of course, with the obvious exception that your bushings are not the appropriate size for the hole. I find that most bushings need a bit more than finger strength to get installed (hence the press) on an appropriately sized hole, but it's never a gigantic force needed. Now if we are talking about installing bushings that are too big, then I'll agree with guitarcapo 100% here

• Members

Capo, again you don't know what you're talking about. They're supposed to be an interference fit. :facepalm:

• Members

They could be the oversize bushings used to fit old style tuners in newer/larger tuner holes. If so, force will split your wood. And that sounds painful! If they won't even start in the holes, STOP! I prefer a slight resistance. Thumb pressure only. Use a bit of super glue & call it a day.

• Members
I'm talking about the
"blow with a hammer"
advice. Using a clamp or drill press is a recipe for disaster too. As a matter of fact, if you can't press them in firmly with your bare fingers I would avoid any tools.

I will do no such thing you foul mouthed hooligan!

:wave:

• Members

Thanks guys, but I'm taking the advice of _pete_ and atrox on this one.

I'll be a bit scared, but I trust Warmoth (the neck) and Fender (the tuners) enough to chance it.

Both products say 11/32 on them, so....

It's not a chance you are taking man, they are designed this way. _Pete_ and I have done more than a just a few of these. If they go in with thumb pressure, then sweet, but I have yet to see that happen. They are designed to be installed with some force with a press. If they go in too easy, then they can become loose over time. It doesn't take much (though it may be a tad more work with a C-clamp).

Archived