So I need a new bridge pickup in my Les Paul...

bloolight

• Members

The stock p/u in the bridge is now annoyingly microphonic and it's driving me crazy. I'm not too familiar with replacement pickups, and I was looking for suggestions. I want a pickup that's aggressive without being "metal" since I typically use the Les Paul live when we're playing Led Zeppelin songs or other harder blues stuff.

Any thoughts?

• Members

The stock p/u in the bridge is now annoyingly microphonic and it's driving me crazy. I'm not too familiar with replacement pickups, and I was looking for suggestions. I want a pickup that's aggressive without being "metal" since I typically use the Les Paul live when we're playing Led Zeppelin songs or other harder blues stuff.

Any thoughts?

How about replace it with the same model that is in there already? Unless it was not doing it for you.

The DiMarzio Super Distortion is a nice Ballsy pickup with a med output. Great for your hot Rock N' Roll tones. Ace from Kiss used one back in the day' He had a pretty good classic rock n' roll tone (imo) It sounds not bad split either which is cool.

• Members

Clean your switch and clean your pots. If something is not obviously broke or disconnected then the electronic components usually just need a dose of contact cleaner. Most often that's all that is needed when your "pickups" suddenly start cutting out or acting strange. It's usually the switch or pots rather that the pickup that is at fault.

• Members

Clean your switch and clean your pots. If something is not obviously broke or disconnected then the electronic components usually just need a dose of contact cleaner. Most often that's all that is needed when your "pickups" suddenly start cutting out or acting strange. It's usually the switch or pots rather that the pickup that is at fault.

TRue. Can't hurt checking out to see if the original pup can't be salvaged.

• Members

BareKnuckle Black Dog -- specifically designed for Zeppish toneage.

+1 on this.

If hard Blues is your bag, then these will nail it - provided you have got the right amp.

I use Bare Knuckle Emerald pups in my LP and they will also give you what you're looking for but with a bit more bite.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll keep them in mind...I'm going to do a little cleaning on the pots to see if that does the trick, although I'd still sort of like to try a new pickup at the bridge. The one that's in there right now is okay, but I think I'd like something a little fancier. Even if the current pickup is still okay, I'll probably switch it out. That Black Dog sounds interesting...

• Members

Seymour Alnico II. Unbeatable

Also a great choice. I run the Alnico II pro in the neck position of most of my guitars, and it sounds heavenly in my Les Paul. I still prefer the JB slightly for the bridge for doing any chugging, but the Alnico II is awesome for leads.

Archived