About Sustain... String Through or Tail Piece?

dimner

• Members

So i am considering two guitars... both are in the Les Paul style. One has the string through and the other has a tailpiece.

Which will help get better sustain?

Both are by the same manufacturer, both have set necks only the tailpiece/string through and the pickups are different. Having a hard time figuring out which will be better for me.

It's the Michael Kelly Patriot Custom vs Premium

Thanks.

• Members

What may help would be to go down to your local guitar store...try a string through and tailpiece equipped guitar of a different make/model and see how you feel about those...since there's no MK dealers in your area...

From just theory alone...some may say the string through may resonate better since there are no extra components/couplings (tailpiece) that the strings' vibrations need to pass through...

• Members

I wont be able to play either actually. there are no MK dealers in my area/state. The website shows there are some dealers, but i don't think they exists as brick and mortar music stores.

Well, if you're buying used, you could buy them both and flip the one you don't like, I suppose.

I hate buying guitars sight-unseen. It's too much of a crapshoot.

• Members

If there is a difference, I bet it would be so slight as to be insignificant.

Not sure if there would be any difference in tone between the 2 but again I think it's splitting hairs.

IMHO, I think the whole sustain thing is blown out of proportion. As long as the guitar is set up properly I've never had a problem with sustain whether set neck, bolt on, tremolo bridge, or fixed. They all sustain just fine for my ears.

• Members

A store by me has the custom and the spalted maple special edition thing with the strings through the body. I played them a while back and I don't remember one being better than the other.

I think I liked the valor better than both of them though, despite its compromised upper fret access.

That brings up another point aabout the patriots...great upper fret access in a LP style guitar.

• Members

Thanks everyone for your input. I won't take how the strings saddle to the body in account.

With that, I think i am going to go with the Michael Kelly Patriot Custom... I can get it for $465 shipped at music123.com.

Archived