TOP WRAPPING OPINIONS, PROS AND CONS ?

SUPERMAG

• Members

Hope I named the topic right for what I am asking.? ( going over the top of the tailpiece) not sure.

Can any of you tell me the benefits of doing this and what it did to your intonation and sustain or whatever. I ahve never done it this way and was about to re-string one so thought I would get your advice , ( pros and cons)

Does it help with fret buzzing and does it raise your string height in anyway?

Give me your thoughts and alos does it have any effects on the strings as far as life span. Just the positoning of the strings in this way look like they may put undue stress in places that are not made for this application.

Maybe the process is called something else I dont know , and if so tell me so I dont feel like a dummy.

• Members

Hope I named the topic right for what I am asking.? ( going over the top of the tailpiece) not sure.

Can any of you tell me the benefits of doing this and what it did to your intonation and sustain or whatever. I ahve never done it this way and was about to re-string one so thought I would get your advice , ( pros and cons)

Does it help with fret buzzing and does it raise your string height in anyway?

Give me your thoughts and alos does it have any effects on the strings as far as life span. Just the positoning of the strings in this way look like they may put undue stress in places that are not made for this application.

Maybe the process is called something else I dont know , and if so tell me so I dont feel like a dummy.

It may reduce string angle over the bridge, and could help if you are breaking strings a lot.

It may increase buzzing behind the bridge (similar to what a jazzmaster does but not as dramatic)

It does absolutely nothing for action or frett buzz.

• Members

It may reduce string angle over the bridge, and could help if you are breaking strings a lot.

It may increase buzzing behind the bridge (similar to what a jazzmaster does but not as dramatic)

It does absolutely nothing for action or frett buzz.

One other effect - your strings will feel slinkier.

The process is called 'top wrapping', by the way.

• Members

Can any of you tell me the benefits of doing this and what it did to your intonation and sustain or whatever.

Wont change your intonation at all. Wont increase string life. Can change tone and sustain, make strings a bit easier to bend. Theres a reason why that stop bar is adjustable. Most believe you get more sustain and tone if it's all the way down to the body. I've never found that to be true. The proper way to adjust it all is to set your string height and look at the strings as they come off the back of the bridge. If any strings are touching the back of the bridge you need to raise the stop bar until they dont. Of course your going to get someone here who says that isnt true so try it yourself. I get my info from the company that invented them.

• Members

Go to edit and then go to advanced option.

After someone gave me the proper name for it I changed it to possibly get more input on the subject. I am bad about not having the topic starter not be the best thing to get the best results.

Archived