hey curmudgeons..try listening again...

nat whilk II

• Members

Gee, I don't know if this is a good idea.

Suppose I picked up and ate a dog turd in 1978 and found the flavor was not to my liking. You are suggesting that I go out in the yard and find another "lawn cigar" to see if it still tastes bad? I don't think so...

no no no no, M-U-S-I-C is spelled differently than T-U-R-D.

One is not meant for eating. Give it some time, maybe you'll see your way clear through this complex issue....:poke:

nat whilk ii

• Members

I always appreciate it when you make your periodic PE comment.

All genres have good and bad. Discrimination by genre usually indicates to me a lack of knowledge. There's good and bad Baroque, good and bad Balinese, good and bad rap, good and bad everything.

And PE... well, those were the days.

When I heard PE, my first thought was (no kidding) "so this is why sampling was invented." That, and the fact that they were just plain incendiary during a time when that was out of favor. As the years went by, I appreciated the fact that they released stuff online, played anyp lace that would take 'em (maybe they needed the $$, I dunno, but they did NOT have a "rock star attitude), and Chuck D put his money where his mouth was by getting into political issues. That's why to me, they're still a paragon of all that's right about rap.

• Members

no no no no, M-U-S-I-C is spelled differently than T-U-R-D.

One is not meant for eating. Give it some time, maybe you'll see your way clear through this complex issue....:poke:

nat whilk ii

Ah, I see now. You caught me before my morning coffee... I'm not a morning person.

I will admit there is a lot of stuff I hated back in the 60s and 70s (mostly soul and country music) that sounds superb now... perhaps in comparison to what's on the radio, or maybe it just took that much time for the meme of each those songs to propagate a virus into my psyche...

I have run into occasional recent music that is interesting and engaging. But as for radio, the gold-to-hogmanure ratio is just too low for me - - I almost always tune out as soon as the next song comes on.

• Members
Nothin's been good since "Free Bird", dammit.

I know you were joking, but (and this is on topic) go check out Nicole Atkins (my current fave) -- you'll hear plenty of that Brill Building spirit, lots of Phil (Spector), Roy (Orbison) and Gene (Pitney). And her latest album, "Neptune City", doesn't come off as a slavish, oh-so-hip sixties-themed exercise (as I think Amy Winehouse does), because the sounds are today's, and the songs are varied. Nicole is more like Feist -- a strong frontwoman who writes great pop songs and plays guitar.

Recommended (sorry, no embeds, as these are "official" videos):

"Maybe Tonight" (stupid video, dare you to get the song out of your head)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoCcnpbco58

"The Way It Is" (Can't you just hear Gene Pitney doing this?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4pxn-xULNs

"Neptune City" (Incredible video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7ostZq5zg

:cool: She's also got a fun little EP, "Nicole Atkins Digs Other People's Songs"

• Members

That, and the fact that they were just plain incendiary during a time when that was out of favor. As the years went by, I appreciated the fact that they released stuff online, played anyp lace that would take 'em (maybe they needed the $$, I dunno, but they did NOT have a "rock star attitude), and Chuck D put his money where his mouth was by getting into political issues. That's why to me, they're still a paragon of all that's right about rap.

One anecdote I recall of Chuck putting his money where his mouth was had to do with his famous "BASS" sample. I remember Chuck was fairly relaxed about the number of times he was sampled, seeing how he himself sampled everyone else. But there was one time Chuck strongly (and I think legally) objected - when his "BASS" line was used for a beer company advertising the big 40 oz beers. He was determined not to let a sample of his voice be used in an ad that targeted the black community for a product that was harming them.

• Members

I think there is alot of good music being created these days. I think the reason the new stuff doesn't hit the same emotional spot for most of us as the stuff we grew up on is that we're no longer a teenagers. We no longer have the same passion that we did then. What music we like no longer defines who we are among our peers. For me music is no longer this all encompising passion that it once was. Reality has replace the ideals of my youth.

Want to hear some of the good new stuff. Listen to college radio. Take a listen to WKNC I hear something new I like almost every day.

• Members

I like Public Enemy just fine. But they haven't sounded quite as sweet to me since that whole Flava of Love show and that awful roast on Comedy Centeral. What the hell was up with that???

As far as new music goes. There have been times I've wondered if music just doesn't do it for me like it once did. But then every once in a while something new comes on that hits me and reignites the fire.

• Members

The problem with newer music for me is it's just not new enough.

That's partly my fault and it's partly new music's fault.

It's my fault because I no longer have a clean slate upon which to listen to music. Everything I hear now falls within the context of a very large pallet of music history. When I was young, everything was new to me, whether it was new to others or not. It's also my fault because I don't search for fresh music like I used to. It's partly a time thing and partly a motivational thing. Considering how few new songs I've heard these days that I absolutely love, I'm not motivated to search hard for new ones, which of course decreases the likelihood that I'll find and hear new gems.

But it's also new music's fault because there's never in my lifetime been a period more revolutionary than 1965-1975. Way too much of what I hear these days is a slightly new take on an old genre.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to like. Plenty. It's just that there's little exploration of new universes.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

"Way too much of what I hear these days is a slightly new take on an old genre"

G. Grace, 2009

Yes, that's true, isn't it. If we could only listen with young ears again, maybe it would sound fresh and vital.

I remember, before I lived... out here... wherever I am... I lived in a place called Seattle. My birthday parties were populated by a random and bewildering variety of wonderful people: Linguists, Artificial intelligence researchers, construction workers, and one f***-it-all irish punk with a PHd in somethingorother. They were all so hip and cool and worldly. But after a while I got a little tired of them, whom I loosely classified as "city people". Their minds were so finely tuned!

So finely tuned that they had to -- I mean HAD TO -- classify and judge everything that came before them. And, of course, most things were comparable to something from the past, and were therefore passe'.

I was afraid to admit to liking anything, for fear that my hip friends who had experienced ska music in Amsterdam "back in the day" would say "What, that? THAT's not any good."

I don't listen to commercial radio. Don't even know what's playing on it these days. I won't listen to the commercials. But there are TONS of places to find music made by people who are not like commercials. I love it!

• Members

"

They were all so hip and cool and worldly. But after a while I got a little tired of them, whom I loosely classified as "city people". Their minds were so finely tuned!

So finely tuned that they had to -- I mean HAD TO -- classify and judge everything that came before them. And, of course, most things were comparable to something from the past, and were therefore passe'.

I was afraid to admit to liking anything

Now I can relate to how you felt in that context. Why are intellectual crowds so often oppressive like that? Competitive sophisticates - smart-talk-one-upmanship....it's not a good thing at all.

My crowd in senior high and the first couple of years of college was like that. Always onto the analytical thing...it was kind of fun at first - we all felt smart and funny and smarmy I suppose.

But it got very stale for me. I remember once I had been out of town for a good while, and when I got back, I wanted to see everyone, find out what had been going down while I was gone, etc. So I went to a party - they're all there - and still just going on in the abstract, intellectual mode. I asked a couple of times how people were doing and all I got was what they had been reading, what new topics they found amazing, etc.

Finally I broke the unspoken rule - I piped up in a sincere, non-"discussy" voice, and said, "Hey I want to hear about how you guys are doing, you know, as people...not just what you're thinking about. About YOU.....what's your life been like?"

All I got was were so many cows watching the passing train. Incurable, I decided.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Yes! That's it. I mostly use my non-"discussy" voice these days. But, back on topic:

I've been trying out Rhapsody (on the advice of Blue2blue) and have been surprised at how different some of the older stuff sounds to me now. It's not just because I last listened to it on scratchy vinyl, either. I should probably re-listen to everything... except maybe that band that did "Afternoon Delight"...

• Members

But Rap just blew me out of the f***in water... I just found it
so
vulgar,
so
rough,
so
meanspirited,
so
petulant and childish,
so
bestial,
so
amusical. A little part of me died when Rap became the thing in the mid-80's.

We have to make sure that our parents don't like the music we listen to, don't we?

Every generation's parents have said this. It goes on and on.

And btw.........shhhhhhh now, we don't want to ruin parents' perception of rap now......not all rap is vulgar, rough, mean-spirited, petulant, childish, bestial, or amusical. But shhhhhhhh......

Archived