Unknown Gibson Les Paul

slavemaster

• Members

That is indeed a LP AAA Standard LP. I have one that looks almost identical to the one in that picture.
It was a Musicians Friend/Guitar Center limited edition guitar. They made 400 of them.
I added a clear lexan pickguard, Faber ABR-1 tun-o-matic bridge, and Faber stainless steel studs to mine. The tone improved right away.

The guitar has a clearer tone then a mahogany neck LP and sustains all day. The tone is not the least bit harsh, or thin on this guitar. It is also chambered. Mine weighs exactly 8 pounds.

They sold new for a discount price of somewhere about $2795 with the hard case, but GC lowered that price towards the end to about $2,000.

I had a pick of three when I purchased mine and it out played my Historic R9's easily.

The neck is extremely comfortable and maintains a truss rod adjustment beautifully.

The one pictured looks like it might be one of the earlier ones that I have, as the wood does not have the BBQ effect to it as the later ones did. Also, the top carve on the earlier ones was deeper then the later ones, which appear to look much flatter on top. Mine as a slight chevron top with more action in the flame which extends out to the end of the sides.
Here is a picture of mine, but it was taken by someone at the club that night and does not show the best angle for the figure in the wood.
e9240761e2.jpg

• Members

Slavemaster,
Congradulations on buying that AAA Standard Les Paul! :thu:
I hope you enjoy it very much.

There are a couple of things that you can do for a better tone and sustain on the guitar that are completely reversable and will not require any drilling.

Faber makes a Gibson style ABR-1 wireless bridge that retro fits onto a Nashville bridge post such as is on this guitar.. It is a better bridge.

Also, Faber makes stainless steel stop tail studs for this guitar that fit right onto it and just screw into the old stud holes. They come with several height washers that can lock down the tailpiece to ioffer better sustain to the guitar.

I have put these on my AAA LP and it made a big improvement to the tone and sustain of the guitar.

Here is the site I got my parts from. Being that you are in Switzerland, and these parts are from Germany, you should be able to get them closer to where you live.
http://cvgshop.com/Faber-Parts/c4/index.html?osCsid=e720511754bf39e7995a5343cb9d66d6

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok, the guitar his received.

Here some pics !

163884.jpg

163885.jpg

163886.jpg

163887.jpg

It's one of the best finished Les Paul that I ever see. Georgeous look and feel.

But the sound his very particular. I don't fell instantly in love, I think we must build up our relation.
:love:

• Members

Completely his a better word. On this guitar, I have no bass or bass medium frequencies (or very few, it would be more realistic). The sound roll up over the mids with a particular sound tension. You have really the feeling to play a strange fender jaguar. I must may other tests, but for the moment I'm a little bit disapointed. At my flat, i have no tube amp, so I made my first tests with a transistored Fender Blackface. I must wait to come to my regular repeating cellar for touching my tube amps. I will certainely make other experiences then.

C4, did you noticed a difference in the sound of your guitar when you changed the bridge and saddle ?

Archived