Faded SG Project

Woody_in_MN

• Members

A couple weeks ago I bought a very used Gibson Faded SG. I sanded and re-stained in Sedona Red, and did a semi-gloss poly coat. Bellow are before/after pics:

Before

FADED_SG1.JPG

After

FADED_SG4.JPG

Before

FADED_SG2.JPG

After

FADED_SG5.JPG

Before

FADED_SG3.JPG

After

FADED_SG6.JPG

What do you think?

- W

• Members

I can definitely see the difference in the front shots. There is a smoothness to the after pics that I'm sure is much more evident in person. That's mostly a "feel" thing. Those "Fadeds" have a rougher open grained feel. You can definitely tell that the grain is sealed in the after. That is the only difference between the SG Special and the SG Special Faded. The price difference is $500 MSRP!

• Members
sorry to say, i actually preferred it before....
:(
especially the 3-ply guard

I may replace the 3 ply. That was a "casulty" of the refinishing. I re-painted the pickguard a satin black to try to salvage it, but I may well buy a new 3 ply to swap in.

- w

• Members

I can definitely see the difference in the front shots. There is a smoothness to the after pics that I'm sure is much more evident in person. That's mostly a "feel" thing. Those "Fadeds" have a rougher open grained feel. You can definitely tell that the grain is sealed in the after. That is the only difference between the SG Special and the SG Special Faded. The price difference is $500 MSRP!

Yes - the poly coat gives extra shine. There is a "clear" poly coat that gives a minimum of gloss. There is also a glossy grade that gives the most shine. I picked the semi-gloss. It gives gome extra shine from stock - but not as much as a factory gloss finish.

- W

• Members
I like the results. Has a polished look to it now.
:rawk:

Whats with the big ass digital clock? Does it do something more than keep time?

The clock. Don't ask. I think there is some weather stuff in it. I want to return it. My wife likes it. So we compromised and we are keeping it. :rolleyes:

- W

• Members

I like the faded series guitars. I like the openess that they seem to have. I don't know if it's the finish or what.

At the same time, though, I can see how you invested some serious time into making very subtle improvements to an already very fine guitar. I bet that, if anything, you have bonded pretty tightly with that bad boy after working through the refinish.

For that alone, I give you big ups! I'm all for people taking guitars and making them individualized. It sure beats buying and selling every two weeks...

• Members

Ummmm...yeah.....

lacquer thinner should take that paint off the pickguard.

That was not really the problem. I was cleaning up the pickguard with paint thinner, and it made the pickguard finish cloudy. So I ended up spray painting it satin black.

- w

• Members

I like the faded series guitars. I like the openess that they seem to have. I don't know if it's the finish or what.

At the same time, though, I can see how you invested some serious time into making very subtle improvements to an already very fine guitar. I bet that, if anything, you have bonded pretty tightly with that bad boy after working through the refinish.

For that alone, I give you big ups! I'm all for people taking guitars and making them individualized. It sure beats buying and selling every two weeks...

The big reason I was posting this is because others on the forum were thinking of doing the same project. Last night I thought I was done with the project. But the poly just does not a leave a professional level finish, and I may well go back - remove the poly, and just leave it as a re-stained but un-sealed body.

- w

• Members

It will need some kind of protective finish, otherwise the wood will soak up every liquid and stain that comes along. Either leave it or go back and use an oil finish. Tung oil or the like. I like it the way it is, though. Looks good, just replace the pickguard.

EG

• Members

UPDATE:

The kid that sold me the faded SG wants to buy it back, and I did not plan on buying a Les Paul Studio - which I did. So I plan on selling it back to the kid when he has the money in a week or two. He prefers the dull worn in look. I did remove the poly last night, and re-stained. I'll let the kid do what he wants with it after that.

I guess the lesson I learned is that brushed on poly coat does not give a factory/professional finish. If I do this kind of thing again, I would be tempted to use Min Wax poly wipe ons, or Tru Oil, or Lind Seed oil. There is also Min Wax poly in a spray that I would consider.

- w

Archived