Guitar and case storage when space tight

Kuroyume

• Members

Moved into a new house two months ago. It is a smaller house. Even in that time there is no place to store my (5) guitars and cases except in my bedroom stacked up on a small (but sturdy) wooden display shelf. No room in closet, no room in either my office (where my amp and such are) or in my bedroom - only closet besides hallway. I'm at a loss for a good place to put these unstacked. Garage and basement are out - no way. The environment must be temperature and humidity controllable.

If I could get rid of about a hundred books and a book case there might be just enough room. My office is packed. My bedroom is packed. This sucks. :freak:

Any ideas?

• Members

Had considered them but there is not much wall space. ;)

In my office, there are three full height (6') bookshelves, three half height shelves, my computer desk, amp with a folding table over it for music and working on guitar, a window, door, and the entertainment unit (which sucks but that is where the unit had to go due to pre-wiring and space). Might be able to hang three guitars tightly on the available partial wall there depending upon the studs available - most likely one from what I can see of the wall (only 5' section).

In the bedroom is one full height bookshelf, dvd case, desk with HTIB and TV, desk with another computer, bed, side tables, closet, two windows, door. Closet is packed with stuff that was in my office closet in the other house among clothes and shoes.

Basically, I went from a bedroom+1.5office (2 closets) to bedroom+.7office (1 closet). Even with all that I've sold (including two guitars!), given to GoodWill, trashed, it is tighter than a virgin twat.

I'm looking at one of the half shelves in my office which may be able to be sacrified if everything on it can be moved elsewhere. The stuff that one collects over ten or twenty years. Incredible.

• Members

I have 25 guitars/basses, an elect. drum kit, synth, Handsonic elect. hand drum, pedal board, computer, and storage stuff for the wife (huge amp is now out of the room to make it less cramped) all packed into one small room... it's possible!

String Swing hangers, low profile 1 pc guitar hangers, and Warwick 9-guitar stands make it all possible.

It's all much tidier now without the amp and some shuffling of things and cleanup, but this gives you a general idea of the space.

IMG_4444.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

Best of luck!

• Members

Yikes! ;) That room is actually larger than my office, though!

Except that I have two computers, two 21" LCD monitors, and a Z5500 speaker system attached to my computer (for music practice/listening). These take a bit of space with the configuration of the desk (unfortunately). This is my livelihood. And I can't live without my 500 books, tools, etc. ;)

I used to have a five guitar rack stand. Maybe that is a good idea for the guitars. Did actually manage to extricate one of the half shelves to make room for the guitars. Sweatin' to the oldie (me, that is).

P.S.: Love that doodle next to the monitor and on the drumhead (?). :D

• Members

With something like this you can hang 4 guitars in the 5' section. I have one and it works great.

http://guitarstorage.com/racks.htm#profile

That is one classy wall hanger. It will either be that or a floor guitar rack stand now that space has been forcibly reclaimed.

Hey, thanks guys! Everyone here is always very knowledgeable and helpful which is why I figured to ask (to unstick the failing brain). :thu:

Now I can start getting this mess organized.

• Members

Got any space in the closet on the rack. This might work for you

http://www.theguitarhanger.com/

Now that is hilarious - yet inventive and practical. Could have used those in the other house where there was a closet in my office!

The bedroom closet rack is packed from end to end with shirts, hoodies, and pants.

This just exemplifies the need for every guitarist, especially those with GAS, to be given a mansion automatically. :idea: Yo, Congress... :facepalm:

• Members

It sounds as though you were not really looking to display them? It seems to me that guitars age faster when on display. Good thing or bad thing? I would rather have them in the cases - upright (not "under the bed, leaning on the neck support). So that makes a closet the ideal place - where I live that is called a wardrobe!

I have my guitars upright, in cases, in a floor to ceiling (built in) wardrobe. That leaves enough room above the guitars for a full row of shirts or jackets. So....are you sure you can't rearrange the space, or perhaps you have too many clothes?

Edit: Written before your last post.

• Members

I had a similar problem until I scored somewhere around my 25th guitar. At that point I lined 'em up in cases (standing) along one wall of a bedroom & tossed a blanket over the cases. Didn't even know they were there and they were all handy when I wanted to get 'em out. Your solution is to buy more guitars.

• Members

Yikes!
;)
That room is actually larger than my office, though!

Except that I have two computers, two 21" LCD monitors, and a Z5500 speaker system attached to my computer (for music practice/listening). These take a bit of space with the configuration of the desk (unfortunately). This is my livelihood. And I can't live without my 500 books, tools, etc.
;)

I used to have a five guitar rack stand. Maybe that is a good idea for the guitars. Did actually manage to extricate one of the half shelves to make room for the guitars. Sweatin' to the oldie (me, that is).

P.S.: Love that doodle next to the monitor and on the drumhead (?).
:D

My tiny desk has a 15.6 inch laptop, two screens (1 24', one 20 ') my ASUS 900a netbook, two keyboards, and 2 mice and old fashioned 24' CRT TV. My single bookshelf is chock full of books. I keep my guitars basically under the bed for the most part, or stood haphazardly around the room in single stands. I could use a multi stand tho :)

• Members

@Talepeace: I tend to prefer to case them in a controlled environment too - especially out here in CO where the humidity is low. One custom made acoustic without a case, although in a closet in my bedroom, succumbed to dry-rot wherein the soundboard was 'totalled'. There is a humidifier in my office so they'll be protected in that way. Yes, I used to store them in the cases in my office closet in the previous house. Definitely not a dis-player but a player. :D

@AzCat: If I only had wall space of any sort to do that. For now, I have them in cases in the space vacated by the half-height shelf but have just ordered a 7-guitar floor stand from AMS. Hopefully with proper temperature+humification control they will thrive. :)

• Members

In my living room I have our piano and over top of it are 6 guitar wall hangers. In the bedroom I keep all my amps etc. on one wall and have shelving rods from the ceiling to the floor and store guitars in their cases there. They have simply become part of the decorations.

Archived