NGD-Fender Japan 52 RI Tele (and I've already taken her apart)

chrispscott

• Members

Damn you HCEG. Someone posted a link to Ishibashi's used page the other day and this gorgeous TL52 was screaming my name. I've been jonesing for a 52RI for a few years now but the massive Fender pricehike has precluded me from picking one up. I had a 50s Classic Tele for a while which was a great guitar but it just wasn't a Blackguard ya know?

Anyway I placed the order last Wednesday and it showed up on at work here today. Amazing shipping time considering the fact that it came from half way around the world and that there was a Federal Holiday on Monday.

(excuse the photo quality I did not have my good camera on me)

Anyway she was a beautiful girl right out of the box and looked even better than the photos on Ishibashi's website.

P5260023.jpg

P5260020.jpg

It's a 3pc Ash body but the grain has been very well joined. It's got a poly finish which gives it kind of that candy coated look but that does not bother me too well. The pups are Texas Specials which I've never really had any experience with. When I plugged her in I dug the sound. A bit hotter and warmer than my SD Broadcaster but that works out pretty well for me actually. The neck is a soft V which tapers down a bit as you go higher up the neck. It's nice and slick and feels great. I have fairly small hands so a vintage radius actually works pretty well for me.

P5260024.jpg

She's obviously been well played. All of the hardware is pretty dulled from sweat but I don't mind. It means it means that it's been a genuinely well loved and played guitar.

P5260026.jpg

My only disappointment was in when I popped the hood on her.

P5260042.jpg

Mini-pots and a PCB board switch...bleh...but WAIT! The Texas Special neck pup is 3 conductor which means I can install a four-way switch for series and parallel like a Baja. Woohoo! To the guitar store.

Unfortunately they had to order the switch for me but I went ahead and grabbed some new Dimarzio custom taper tone pots (my favs.) I'll just leave the PCB switch in place until the 4-way comes in.

P5260047.jpg

Shiny new pots and cap. I gotta say the Dimarzio vol pot sure does look a lot like a CTS hmmmmm.

I also threw on a Bakelite guard I had laying about. I like it more than the matte plastic one it came with.

And last but not least a family photo (no acoustic pictured obviously)

P5260031.jpg

The Tele in the middle is waiting on a new neck. I ordered a Mighty Mite V with a rosewood board while I was at the guitar shop today. Should be in next week :)

• Members

Nice guitar. I don't know why Fender Japan uses such crappy innards. My Jazzmaster has those hideous mini pots and really cheap switches. I suppose they are thinking about the consumer culture where electronics get used for 2 years and then thrown away--like cell phones and TV's.

• Members

Nice guitar. I don't know why Fender Japan uses such crappy innards. My Jazzmaster has those hideous mini pots and really cheap switches. I suppose they are thinking about the consumer culture where electronics get used for 2 years and then thrown away--like cell phones and TV's.

Yeah it's really odd that they would cut corners on something like that. My roommate has a MIJ Jaguar I'm tempted to take a look and see what kind of switches and pots that's using.

• Members

Absolutely stunning guitar and I dig your mods.
:thu:

Cool collection. What's the jazzbox on top?
:love:

Thanks. It's a Xaviere XV-900 with a Mean 90 and Dream 90. Inexpensive and great guitar once you get the kinks worked out.

And according to one thread here I don't think we're supposed to call it a jazz box :lol:

• Members

are you sure those are tex special pickups? Cloth wire, slight stagger, seperate neck cover ground, and white string they look like Fralins.

Not sure to be honest. I'm not really familiar with Texas Specials. I may have to do some more research into them I guess and find out for sure.

• Members

Not sure to be honest. I'm not really familiar with Texas Specials. I may have to do some more research into them I guess and find out for sure.

Nevermind...I just looked them up and they look like CS Texas Specials (I was thinking TexMex)...Great pickups!

I have a CIJ 52 that I refinished in nitro, its a great guitar!

• Members

Nice guitar. I just snagged a used 1997-98 CIJ 62/65 Telecaster from Ishibashi in Tokyo last week. I didn't even realize the place was Ishibashi until I looked at the receipt. The guy must own six or seven shops in Ochanomizubashi. It's an amazing neighborhood to shop for guitars. There are guitar shops lining both sides of the street. I was after a Robben Ford clone, and after trekking through about a dozen shops I found one.

Congratulations on your new axe, it's a beauty. By the way, mine also has the cheesey mini-pots and lightweight switch. Other than that, it's a great guitar. Super shape for a ten-year-old axe too. It's an A serial number with USA, cloth wired pups. The hardware on mine is also a bit dulled or oxidized. I think it's just weathered. It looks good to me. Can you tell that I'm happy about my new purchase?

3539046320_0b94289244.jpg?v=0

• Members

Congratulations on your new axe, it's a beauty. By the way, mine also has the cheesey mini-pots and lightweight switch. Other than that, it's a great guitar. Super shape for a ten-year-old axe too. It's an A serial number with USA, cloth wired pups. The hardware on mine is also a bit dulled or oxidized. I think it's just weathered. It looks good to me. Can you tell that I'm happy about my new purchase?

3539046320_0b94289244.jpg?v=0

Man, if I saw that on their site I would be hard pressed to decide between that and the 52. That's one of my favorite Tele styles.

Archived