Fender Deluxe vs. Hot Rod DeVille - tell me the differances

aschreiber2010

• Members

can someone tell me the tonal differences between these two amps...both the clean and the dirt channel.

or if anyone knows of a good comparison vid. that would be nice too...

-thanks

They are pretty much the same, the Deville is a bit louder, and heavier. I have HRDLX, pretty happy with it, it's plenty loud for the places I play. The only time it seems underpowered is outdoor gigs, and I don't do a lot of them.

• Members

The Deville (2x12) is really just louder. Also a ton heavier. The 4x10 version is a bit more punchy, and obviously even louder. I have been more than happy with the 40 watts, the 1x12 speaker, and portability. Really, the question is, how much volume do you need? The tone is going to be virtually the same...

• Members

The Deville (2x12) is really just louder. Also a ton heavier. The 4x10 version is a bit more punchy, and obviously even louder. I have been more than happy with the 40 watts, the 1x12 speaker, and portability. Really, the question is, how much volume do you need? The tone is going to be virtually the same...

Exactly. :thu: Friends of mine have both kinds and I think the 2x12 is a bit more bassy than the 4x10 just because of the speaker arrangement but that's about it. The DeVilles are officially 60W versus 40W for the Deluxe (1x12). To me they sound exactly like my 1x12 only even louder than hell. I would NOT get a Deville (or bigger) UNLESS I was going to be playing in really big venues. My 40W Deluxe has been stupendously loud in real life. I can't imagine wanting anything louder!

I just checked; officially the Deluxe is 45lb. and the DeVilles are 50lb. My back says both of those numbers are on the low side of truth. :cop:

• Members

Exactly.
:thu:
Friends of mine have both kinds and I think the 2x12 is a bit more bassy than the 4x10 just because of the speaker arrangement but that's about it. The DeVilles are officially 60W versus 40W for the Deluxe (1x12). To me they sound exactly like my 1x12 only even louder than hell. I would NOT get a Deville (or bigger) UNLESS I was going to be playing in really big venues. My 40W Deluxe has been stupendously loud in real life. I can't imagine wanting anything louder!

This sums it up.

• Members

can someone tell me the tonal differences between these two amps...both the clean and the dirt channel.

or if anyone knows of a good comparison vid. that would be nice too...

-thanks

Are you asking about the difference between the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Hot Rod Deville? Or the difference between the Deluxe Reverb and the Hot Rod Deville?

The Hot Rod Deville IS the Hot Rod Deluxe with a different speaker configuration. The Devilles will be louder, but are otherwise identical.

The Deluxe Reverb is quite a bit different... No dirt channel so without a pedal, it's not as versatile as the Hot Rod Deluxe or Hot Rod Deville, but I think the Deluxe Reverb has a few more fans than the Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville.

• Members

thanks...but i just wonder why fender would do this. Seems like a bad marketing technique

Makes perfect sense. The Hot Rod Deluxe is a 40W 1x12". The DeVille is a 60W 2x12" or 4x10". Just a higher volume configuration of the same amp.

One tricky thing with that series is the volume taper on the stock volume pots. Going from 1 to 2 on the volume is a HUGE jump. Above 4 and you're at just about full volume - it only gets dirtier from there. I got to use the 4x10" DeVille quite a bit at a rehearsal space this past year. It's pretty punchy and sound nice and fat when you crank up and get a bit of powertube dirt happening. The distortion channel is terrible - the only way to get some decent drive sounds without pedals is to crank it up, and that means being LOUD on either the Deluxe or Deville. I was playing with a 20-piece jazz big band, so I actually needed that volume. Most other situations, forget it.

In short, fairly good cleans and moderate powertube OD, bad preamp distortion, mediocre reverb.

Frankly EVERY amp Fender is making is too expensive at the current prices. $850 for a Hot Rod Deluxe???? No way. :freak:

• Members

Frankly EVERY amp Fender is making is too expensive at the current prices. $850 for a Hot Rod Deluxe???? No way.
:freak:

Amen to that. Never mind the DeVille, or Twin Reverb, or... they're made of pure unobtainium.

• Members

There is a fairly popular mod
here
that solves this problem. It replaces the master volume pot with an audio taper pot. It works so well I am going to do it on mine.
Justin Holton's site
has a whole lot of useful stuff on taming the Hot Rod (family) amps.

Amen to that. Never mind the DeVille, or Twin Reverb, or... they're made of pure unobtainium.

Yup, the switch to audio taper pots should do the trick from what I have heard. :thu:

To me, it's not that those amps are "unobtainium" at those prices as there are plenty of people who pay that much and more for amps. I always thought Fender amps were a good bang for the buck in terms of tone but now they're getting dangerously close in price to some really nice handwired amps. They're still the same good amps but the good for the price tag is now gone in my mind. :cry:

Archived