pickup conversion

• Members

ok well since hi this is my first post been playing for bout a year and i own an epiphone les paul (can afford the gibson only 13) and i did want a strat but am getting an acoustic electric due to band needs so anyways i heard u can make "split" humbuckers to make the sound similar to single coils i know ibanez does that and i also think esp might to so any ways how will i do that?

• Members

There are a few Epiphone with coil taps. Namely the Prophecy GX series. I know there are a few others too. Some Fenders are availble with humbbuckers and single coils. Ibanez also has well priced guitars with both type of pickups.

• Members

The MIM strat is a good guitar, although many here rate the Squier Classic Vibe series above the MIM version right now. There is more to a strat than single coils: the longer scale length, different woods etc also contribute to the tone, and a Les Paul will never really sound like a strat, even with strat pickups in it.

It's not hard to convert your guitar for coilsplit, but you'll need to be good (with a soldering iron (or know someone who is). You would need to pull apart the pickups, separate the coils electrically and then add long wires so that they could be run individually. Alternatively just buy a humbucker with 4 wires already from GFS - the '59 splits well - and drop it in the neck position. You would also need a push-pull switch for the splitting (or you can run them parallel as Dimarzio recommend).

• Members

...There is more to a strat than single coils: the longer scale length, different woods etc also contribute to the tone, and a Les Paul will never really sound like a strat, even with strat pickups in it.

It's not hard to convert your guitar for coilsplit, but you'll need to be good (with a soldering iron (or know someone who is). You would need to pull apart the pickups, separate the coils electrically and then add long wires so that they could be run individually. Alternatively just buy a humbucker with 4 wires already from GFS - the '59 splits well - and drop it in the neck position. You would also need a push-pull switch for the splitting (or you can run them parallel as Dimarzio recommend).

Wow. It's like you took the words right out of my mouth.

Spooky.

• Members

I bought a pair of Seymour Duncan JB Jazz Hot Rodded Humbucker Pickups, and these things rock. Never thought of splitting the stock humbuckers, pretty swift thinking there guys. Just be careful, I'm going to give this a try right now.

• Members

ok well since hi this is my first post been playing for bout a year and i own an epiphone les paul (can afford the gibson only 13) and i did want a strat but am getting an acoustic electric due to band needs so anyways i heard u can make "split" humbuckers to make the sound similar to single coils i know ibanez does that and i also think esp might to so any ways how will i do that?

Does your school no longer teach punctuation?

• Members

punctuation-marks.jpg

... but anyway (those dots are called an ellipses btw :D ) wiring up your pickups to be "tapped" or "split" is not much of a chore. I suck at wiring and soldering, but the other guys on here should be quick to direct you in the right direction.

Archived