Is this real? LP Classic

Beckman

• Members

Is this real? It is from an ebay auction. It is an LP Classic.

!BR3r-uQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLly8E)BK!Ol5S

The Serial number is black and I don't see a Made In USA stamp. I though the serial numbers are supposed to be the same as the wood, not colored in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Gold-Top-Guitar_W0QQitemZ290320339739QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item439870d31b

I am not looking to buy it, but was browsing.

• Members

Is this real? It is from an ebay auction. It is an LP Classic.

!BR3r-uQBWk~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLly8E)BK!Ol5S

The Serial number is black and I don't see a Made In USA stamp. I though the serial numbers are supposed to be the same as the wood, not colored in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Gibson-Les-Paul-Classic-Gold-Top-Guitar_W0QQitemZ290320339739QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item439870d31b

I am not looking to buy it, but was browsing.

So looks like yours was made in 2006, I have a 2005 LP Classic and my serial # is the same, in 1960 they didn't have "made in USA" on it, LP Classics are 1960 re-issue, heres a link.:whisper:

http://www.superiormusic.com/page202.htm

• Members

looks pretty genuine...the serial numbers are printed black on classics, and there is no made in USA stamp.

only thing which would make me wonder is the fact it says "model" instead of "classic" under the les paul script.

• Members

As everyone said - Classics have inked serial numbers (1st 2 numbers are the year), it also "does NOT" have "made in USA" on the back of the headstock (except late 2007 till the classic was discontinued in early 2008).

• Members

looks pretty genuine...the serial numbers are printed black on classics, and there is no made in USA stamp.

only thing which would make me wonder is the fact it says "model" instead of "classic" under the les paul script.

The early Classics said Model until like 93 or so then switched to Classic

• Members

No that varies too. Some say "Classic" on the truss rod cover, others have plain truss rod covers.

Looks legit from what we've been shown.

• Members

No that varies too. Some say "Classic" on the truss rod cover, others have plain truss rod covers.

Looks legit from what we've been shown.

Yeah, he's is correct- I hadn't paid attention to the newer ones, but some of them do indeed appear to have model instead of classic again, probably a perfectly fine guitar.

• Members

Play 'em first if you can, vet 'em in person.

Sound advice to be sure, but if you don't know what you are looking for in a picture, you won't know any better looking in person.

• Members

Sound advice to be sure, but if you don't know what you are looking for in a picture, you won't know any better looking in person.

I think he means using your ears to tell the difference.

• Members

Ok, I haven't been able to find any information to fully support this, but I think it's a fake based on the serial number. Unless Gibson has changed they're serialization policy, the serial number is *9* numbers. Numbers in position 1 and 5 make up the production year; numbers in positions 2-4 are the date of production, the remaining numbers define batch number, production plant and number produced that day.

I will admit I could be wrong, and if someone can find info to refute my claim, go to it, but as a described 2008 model guitar, I think the serial number would be 0xxx8xxxx, which is 3 more numbers than shown.

If interested in the instrument, you could call Gibson directly and ask them to verify the serial number.

• Members

Ok, I haven't been able to find any information to fully support this, but I think it's a fake based on the serial number. Unless Gibson has changed they're serialization policy, the serial number is *9* numbers. Numbers in position 1 and 5 make up the production year; numbers in positions 2-4 are the date of production, the remaining numbers define batch number, production plant and number produced that day.

I will admit I could be wrong, and if someone can find info to refute my claim, go to it, but as a described 2008 model guitar, I think the serial number would be 0xxx8xxxx, which is 3 more numbers than shown.

If interested in the instrument, you could call Gibson directly and ask them to verify the serial number.

Classics are numbered differently. recent classics have the first two digits as the model year with following digits as a production number. The pictures are of a genuine LP Classic.

Archived