Looking to get two mid-range guitars but...

Kuroyume

• Members

...the weather here just keeps getting worse and worse - rain, thunderstorms, chances of tornadoes here and there. I had a small slot yesterday to get out to the music store but was busy (working that is). This is the most moisture I've seen in CO since moving here ten years ago.

Realize that I have to drive 39 miles to go the small, limited-selection bro&bro music store (nearest store) and 47 miles to the nearest GC. It is driving me crazy. Nothing on craigslist (but would still require driving anyway). Not really liking the idea of ordering online guitar-unplayed. Only did that once - for the Peavey EVH Wolfgang as they were not available in stores near here.

Might try on Thurs. if the forecast holds (uh huh). While I'm fidgeting with GAS, what can you suggest for these:

$500 Fender Stratocaster?

$500 Ibanez (FR, RG-style)?

My goal is to have two Fenders and two Ibanezs so that one of each can be used for alternate tunings (half-step, full-step down tunings mainly).

Thanks!

• Members

Sorry, I've never tried any Yamaha guitars and don't even think GC carries them in their store here (there are only three guitars listed at their website - I'm not a beginner so I don't want really inexpensive makes).

Well, this is what I'm looking at currently for possible online ordering (mainly because the Fender isn't available in stores and the others don't appear to be available locally at this time):

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-105156996-i1431991.gc

Any of these three:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG4EXFM1-Electric-Guitar-104831706-i1400086.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Damien-Special-FR-Electric-Guitar-104990650-i1386621.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-1-FR-Electric-Guitar-518491-i1402010.gc

• Members

Sorry, I've never tried any Yamaha guitars and don't even think GC carries them in their store here (there are only three guitars listed at their website - I'm not a beginner so I don't want really inexpensive makes).

Yamaha makes some of the nicest import guitars around. No offense, but all the stuff you've listed qualifies as "inexpensive makes"..

• Members

Yamaha guitars are top-notch, price notwithstanding.

They make guitars ranging from $100 to more than $10,000 & they're all bargains for what you pay. A $500 Yammy will put many other guitars in that price range to shame.

Ibanez is also a great buy for the $$$.

• Members

Yamaha makes some of the nicest import guitars around. No offense, but all the stuff you've listed qualifies as "inexpensive makes"..

Absolutely, one thing I've found about Yamaha is that they are top quality, whatever the price point.

• Members

But the only Yamahas at GC are three

The $500 are inexpensive makes but I consider them mid-range (for the non-professional). I don't even look at guitars that cost $5000+. At that point, I'm not sure what you're getting other than a collector's item to put in a glass display. Really, is a $20,000 *THAT* much better (as in 10x better) than a $2000 guitar? Can it be justified unless you're wealthy? ;)

I could look at other online sites I guess. GuitarCenter already. Imagine that MusiciansFiend is very similar. SweetWater has inflated prices and not so much in this range (if any) - as much as respect them! Any other sites worth checking out?

ETA: Thanks for the help so far, guys! Sorry about not saying that yet. This is why I'm asking. One of my problems is that, within the past years, I haven't had much opportunity to try out many makes of guitar. Fender, Ibanez, ESP, Gibson, PRS I know the qualities and sounds rather well. There used to be a Mars Music store which had a larger variation in selection but they went out of business some years back. Allegro Music, a nice store - the nearest mentioned above, only carries Fender and Ibanez in electric guitars. If I were in Philly still, I'd have several music stores to visit and try a wide variety. Welcome to my nightmare! ;)

• Members

are you playing some DBT covers?

No, various. Black Sabbath ("Into the Void" for example), Pantera, White Zombie, Metallica, EVH (std and 1/2-step down of course), Satch, Hendrix, LedZep, YJM (1/2-step down Fender), etc. (I play quite a variety of blues/rock/metal from 50s to 90s).

The Fender isn't too much hassle to tune up and down but it does get annoying and a bit time consuming having to tune a few times to get all the strings in pitch. But then there is the Ibanez with double-locking Edge Pro. Not worth tuning it up and down for the trouble. So, I figured to keep these in standard tuning (most of the time) and use two new ones for 1/2-step and full-step down tuning while practicing. I was just learning "Little Martha" by the Allman Brothers which is in Open-E tuning and it interferes with when I then want to practice/play something else in standard tuning (on the Fender) then want to continue learning that the next day or so.

I used to have more than nine guitars but scaled back over time due to finances. Now I have five but one is an acoustic and another is an el-cheapo 7-string ($100 w/crap pups). So that's three left. The Wolfie is for EVH so that leaves the Fender and Ibanez for blues/rock/metal tuning variances.

• Members

Update: No Yamaha electrics at AmericanMusical, SweetWater, ZZounds, SamAsh! Same ones as GC online listed at MusicansFiend (as expected).

Gonna be difficult to purchase a guitar that I can't find!

• Members

I looked through your list for the $500 shred type guitar and the only one I would look at out of that list is the Schecter. The KH-202 is pure crap having played all the KH series models -

If you are stuck with guitar center as your local shop I would look at the schecter stuff, try the Ibanez out if you like the necks, I think I saw some nice PRS guitars with trems for that price too. If you don't need the floating trem you have even more options

• Members

Once again, thanks everyone! Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get up to GC (and glad I didn't!) so instead went to the nearer music store (have work to do as well so three hours versus four or five matters). I spent a bit more than was budgeted but what I got really fills the bill:

- 2007 Fender Stratocaster Classic Player 60's MIM (Sonic Blue)

- Ibanez JS100

So, the MIM Strat mirrors my American Deluxe. I wanted a maple fretboard but this MIM is a nice rosewood fb model that usually goes for $1100. Since I'm a regular of this store and they are trying to move stock, it cost me $730!!! And the 2008 (I think) JS100 that mirrors the JS1000 cost $700 instead of $800 at GC. Went over budget by about $500 (inc. tax) but saved $500 (not inc. tax) over GC! I'm a happy camper.

When my new plugin is released and I rake in the dough (dream mode on), then I can think about extravagance. :D

P.S.: Yes, I love the Ibanez Wizard necks. But I also love the fat, unfinished neck of the Wolfgang.

Archived