Please suggest a versatile humbucker for Strat.

Coolie No.1

• Members

So I have a Jb in my SSh strat and while it sounds great with distortion, but clean sounds are not acceptable. It drives even clean amps.

Also I have a Jb in another mahogany body so I want to try something with lower output for great clean sounds. Say a 59 or Alnico Pro II.

Any body tried these two in the bridge position?

Suggest any other that you have tried.

• Members
Surely the neck pickup is for cleans?

Right on, take advantage of your versatile setup. Anyways, heres three buckers that I've used in the bridge that can rage but also sound alright clean (note, that in all cases I much prefer a neck single coil for clean sounds)

Dimarzio Norton: Great pup with plenty of burn, but still dynamically touch sensitive. Lots of mids (definetly a mid foucused pickup) but not as strident as the JB, Slightly less output than the JB as well.

Dimarzio Breed (neck version in bridge): More balanced than the Norton, with a flatter frequency response, less gainy too. The fingers have to work a little harder with this one, but I would choose its cleans over the Norton.

GFS Crunchy PAT: Basically a SuperDistotion clone (it rocks hard, but not as dynamic as the Norton or Breed), that has surprisingly decent clean sounds. For the price you really can't beat it.:thu:

Archived