Recording guitars and vocals

Deathmrcher

• Members

I currently have a boss 1180-cd, which I use for ideas, and have in the past gone to pro studios to record. After much dissapointment, I have decided to try and under take recording guitars, bass, and vocals at home, and use the pro studios for drums and mastering. I did some research, and I have decided to piece it together with quality stuff, rather than buying a cheap all-in-one interface. First off, I am planning on buying an FMR RNP, which I will run into my Boss. Next when I can afford it, I want to get a good quality A/D converter (and an Macbook preferably). If anyone has any good suggestions (for the converter) I am all ears. Under 1000 dollars preferably. I figure if I have a good mic pre out front, and a decent way to convert to digital, I can use the studios pro gear for mix-down and mastering. Thanks for any help.

• Members

Wish I could help, but I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff. I just recently purchased Guitar Tracks Pro (Cakewalk) and a Line 6 interface to finally start doing demos on my computer. For only $160, it sounds f'ing killer!

Hopefully someone will jump in here to answer your question.

• Members

That is the thing, I would never need more than one channel at a time. One great preamp, one channel of conversion

Well I'd suggest at least two channels. You can do a lot of cool dual mic techniques for both guitars and vocals. There are many many interfaces out there that have two decent pres. Sounds like you are going to use programmed drums too? You may want an interface that has midi incase you expand your rig to include a midi controller. It's always good to plan an upgrade or two a head in these situations.

Archived