The perils of manufactured stardom

Billster

• Members

The Click Five

In August 2005, The Click Five was preparing for world domination. The band's first single, "Just the Girl," was a smash. While the camera-ready quintet perfected their harmonies and their autographs in a Somerville practice space, Click Five lunchboxes, backpacks, trading cards, and hair gel lines were being shipped to stores.

Conceived in a Cambridge manager's office, cast at a Berklee College of Music showcase, and signed to a major recording contract within a month of making its first demo tape, Boston's Click Five was launched into the pop-music stratosphere with the full force of the industry's muscle behind it.

Then the band fell back to earth.

• Members

You never know why an act might fail... I'm wagering their name alone was a big liability.

"The Click Five"..... WTF is that?

There has been the Ben Folds Five, but then, they weren't aimed at teenaged girls, I'd say.

It is kind of a shame to see BERKLEE's name get tangled up with pre-fab groups.... just an inch away from being a Milli Vanilli.

• Members

There was a band on a major label back in the '60's that had a hit before the band even existed. "Where Were You When I needed You" was recorded by a bunch of studio guys as a demo for the writers of the song. When there was interest an existing band was brought in to change their name to "The Grass Roots". This band re-recorded the song and it became a hit. Before the second song was done the band quit and a new "Grass Roots" was found to take their place and do the necessary touring and recording of more material. The third "Grass Roots" was the one who had all the hits after "Where Were You", and was the band that I saw at the Minnesota State Fair as a teenager. The Grass Roots were pre-fabbed three times.

Archived