Why was Fender so slow to adopt humbuckers?

Anonymous Guy

• Members

Back in the "classic-rock era" when humbuckers provided the tone of choice over single coils, why wasn't Fender quick to adopt humbuckers into their guitars? I remember hearing that CBS Fender was coming close to discontinuing the Stratocaster and the Telecaster due to slumping sales (not to mention, slumping QC).

One of the more popular mods for players who couldn't afford to buy entirely new guitars was route out their Strats for a humbucker at the bridge/neck, or their Teles for a humbucker at the neck. If Fender knew this, why didn't they jump on making production models with those mods? Back in the earlier days of Fender, they were quick to jump on the five-way switch configuration when it became popular for Strat players lodge their 3-way switches to get those "hidden" tones.

The catalyst that finally pushed Fender to make the jump towards including humbuckers was the 80's, but that was only because every other company seemed to be producing beefed up Super Strat clones with humbuckers and Floyds. Strangely enough, Fender's own incarnation of the super strat, despite being the "originator" of the Strat design, was unpopular. (The headstock logo makes me cringe: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/mazibee4/Strat/Fender_HM_Strat_001.jpg)

I'm not implying that Fender should've only focused on adopting the humbucker during the 70's, but stubbornly sticking with a solely single coil lineup when they knew there was a market for modified Fender designs was a bit of a bad move.

Although I'm not saying they didn't try. Maybe they were discouraged by how the '72 Telecasters and the wide-range humbuckers weren't able to compete with the Les Paul and the PAF. It is funny that the '72 Tele Deluxe/Custom/Thinlines are more popular now with the reissues than they ever were back then.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, in the early years, Gibson had a patent on the humbucking pickup...making the use by Fender impossible. I guess by the time the patent for the humbucker expired, the single coil fender sound was a classic guitar tone.

• Members

if fender switched to making all guitars with humbuckers, what would people who wanted single coils play?

Losing variation would have been a bad idea - I was thinking more along the lines of releasing products that mimicked often used mods on Fenders of the era.

Of course H-S-S Strats and S-H Teles are commonplace now, but just for the time...

• Members

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Fender was losing favor as the go-to guitar of choice for rockers. Also, look at all the other cost-cutting/tradition breaking modifications Fender was doing to their guitars of the era - like the hardtail Strat with the missing tone knob and repositioned jack posted earlier. I'm sure a Fat Strat model wouldn't have been too damaging.

• Members

I mentioned it earlier: "Although I'm not saying they didn't try. Maybe they were discouraged by how the '72 Telecasters and the wide-range humbuckers weren't able to compete with the Les Paul and the PAF. It is funny that the '72 Tele Deluxe/Custom/Thinlines are more popular now with the reissues than they ever were back then."

• Members

can someone explain what he meant here?

CBS era Fender was known for its cost cutting practices. This Strat was an example of the stripped down experiments CBS Fender made.

This Strat removes the routing of the tremolo and input jack (making it a hardtail), and eliminates a tone control in favor for moving the jack to the now vacant pickguard hole.

It doesn't even look like a proper hardtail, it's a toploader bridge with some dodgy looking saddles.

Archived