Squier 51 love

prauny

• Members

I bought a tobacco burst Squier 51 when they were blowing 'em out for less than $90 and although they blow away any guitar in it's price range, I really don't see what the big fuss is about.

I think the main appeal of the Squier 51 is in the ease of modding the guitar, which I very rarely do. Of the 40+ electrics I own, I've only modded one (upgraded the pickups on a Washburn HB 35). If I were to mod my 51, I'd dress the frets, swap out the weak pickups and pots.....

It's a hell of a fun guitar with a sweet tone all it's own in all 5 positions. One of the most rawkus bridge pups ever.

A lot more complex than most inexpensive guitars I've ever heard.

Completely stock Squier 51 video

[YOUTUBE]GFfmq-pfhE8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The first thing I did was replace the cheapie plastic nut with a pre-cut Fender style nut--I had to sand a little off of the bottom to get the string height correct, but it's the first mod to make in order to stabilize the tuning.

• Members

They had the mojo dust sprinkled on them.

If you wan't to mess around with the pups, try a tex-mex single in the neck and some type of bucker sized p90.

The stock pups are fine, though, especially the bridge, it's a very unique, expressive pup with a lot of power and crunch but not too hot.

• Members

Prauny -

I have a tobacco burst, too, and love it. Here's the mods I did, and I love them, too.

BG Hellabucker in the bridge

BG Phatty in the neck

Changed out the bridge

Tusq nut

And most importantly (lookie here, Lee77)

Changed out the rotary selector switch for a standard 3-way (LP style). I could never figure out what position the rotary switch was on in the middle of a song, so it had to go.

Oh, and I added a pearloid pickguard....makes the whole thing come to life.

Check it out:

51.jpg

• Members

Is it in one of the knobs, then?
:o
I don't see it in the pic.

I wish I could get a '51, though. They're so sweet.
:evil:

:(
Now I have GAS.

Yes, it is. One knob is for pickup selection, the other for volume and splitting the bridge pickup (push/pull).

they're simply one of the best modding platform ever. Fun little guitfiddles for sure.

And Frets, if you teach lessons, I may just have to hire you
:)

Aw heckfire BHH. :o

I'm just a hack who thinks a day without playing the guitar is a day without sunshine!:)

• Members

Flippin eck Prauny, where ya bin?

My wife had a baby about a month ago and work nearly took over my life. But its all back on track now! Enjoying having a new baby and found time to use the computer again. Never stopped playing though.

• Members

Prauny -

I have a tobacco burst, too, and love it. Here's the mods I did, and I love them, too.

BG Hellabucker in the bridge

BG Phatty in the neck

Changed out the bridge

Tusq nut

And most importantly (lookie here, Lee77)

Changed out the rotary selector switch for a standard 3-way (LP style). I could never figure out what position the rotary switch was on in the middle of a song, so it had to go.

Oh, and I added a pearloid pickguard....makes the whole thing come to life.

Check it out:

51.jpg

Beautiful guitar dude. I really like the guard.

• Members

Yes, it is. One knob is for pickup selection, the other for volume and splitting the bridge pickup (push/pull).

Whoah!! I was just wondering what frets ment by five settings... I had no idea there was a push/pull!

• Members

I've had three of them, all stock, all sold.

I'm going to build up another customized one over the next month or so. Got a nice MIJ Squier neck, getting a 51 body and control assembly, going to get the GFS bridge and their funky black and yellow pickguard and I'll put a BG Vintage 60 in the neck and maybe a Dimarzio Super Distortion 2 in the bridge. If that's too hot, I'll pickup (pun intended) a PAF Pro or a Fred.

Should be pretty nice and fairly cheap.

• Members

I have one of each flavor, an '05 Black, '05 Blonde, and an '04 'Burst. I've done minor cosmetic mods, but I haven't jimmied with the electronics in them because the stock setup sounds great and is pretty versatile.

The only problems with the '51 are the goofy (some would call it faulty) bridge design and the fairly inconsistent build quality. For some reason, the '05 and '06 models did not have the same quality of fit&finish (particularly the fret finishing) that my '04 has. The '51 is definitely a model that requires "hands-on" testing to find a good one-- but once you DO find a good one, it's worth the effort.

• Members

I've got a blackie that I love so much that it's the only guitar I have out here living with my in-laws.

Mods are:

Neck pup replaced with a DD Scorcher (SC sized HB)

Bridge replaced with GFS (absolutely necessary)

Nut replaced with Tusq

added a tone and replaced the pup switch with a LP style. Things are a little tight on the plate but I don't do a lot of pup switching anyways and couldn't live without a tone knob.

I tried replacing the bridge HB a coupla times with different pups but just couldn't find anything that sounded as good in that position on that guitar than that pup!

Archived