Squier 51 love

prauny

• Members

I found mine for $129. Picked it up and instantly loved the neck. I thought the control layout was very clever and clean looking.

The only mods I've done: GFS tort pickguard, GFS bridge, and a pickup cover on the HB. There is no tone pot, and the bridge pup has a lot of high end. The cover mellows it out and gives a little more of a 'finished' look.

I also put springs on the pickup screws for the neck pup. It's screwed into the body. The springs give it a little more height. Some 51 owners complain that the neck pup is wimpy, but after raising it up, it sounds just fine to me.

tartanphantom is right about the nut. I've done some filing on the slots of mine, but it could stand a replacement. Some folks don't like the tuners, but they work OK. Something that looks more like the old Klusons would look better, IMO.

100_0078.jpg

• Members

It's good to see these charming little mutts still get some love. :thu:

Here's mine. I HAD to add a tone control which took some doing. SInce snapping this photo, I have swapped the knob on the pickup selector to chicken head...WORLD of difference.

DSC_1175.jpg

• Members
Squier51.jpg

as yet un-modded...I have a JB pup in the drawer that will probably end up in it along with some kinda neck pup and the 3-way switch swap-out...

this is my "grab" guitar...it's always on the stand, and is the one I grab when I have a few spare moments to play...

Archived