Pedal for 90s Punk

burton4snow

• Members

hmmmm i fell like i should know this since all i play is punk but i get a pretty much perfect sound out of my b52 at100 head and some {censored}ty cab so i cant help you much... try a rat of some sort i know brad nowell used a boss overdrive i dont know if you are looking for that kinda sound but thats all i got

• Members

...Really?

Your pickups probably aren't too hot either (not in quality, as in "ain't so hot, chief," but in output).

A decent overdrive, even something simple like a Bad Monkey, and those amps with the VOLUME and gain high should do it. Don't expect that sort of sound out of those amps without a good bit of volume as well as gain. Volume is just as important.

• Members

I used to play a lot of 90's punk stuff and, to be honest, i kind out found that any dirty sound would do the job; it was more about how I was playing.

That said, i've used an Arion Distortion, numerous Boss pedals, a Dimarzio Very Metal, a couple of Barbers and tons more I cant remember; most ODs in front of your Eggie would do the job just fine.

EDIT: B4S, are you Ruyter from Nashville {censored}? I cant see an SG in your gear list...

• Members

I used to play a lot of 90's punk stuff and, to be honest, i kind out found that any dirty sound would do the job; it was more about
how
I was playing.

That said, i've used an Arion Distortion, numerous Boss pedals, a Dimarzio Very Metal, a couple of Barbers and tons more I cant remember; most ODs in front of your Eggie would do the job just fine.

i agree as long as you got an amp with gain and a guitar your set as long as you know what you doing and are a good player you should be able to get it out of anything i go to local house shows all the time and i dont notice any consistent type of amp or guitar used (well lp are kind prominent) and they all sound really good now to get a good bass sound... thats a different story

• Members

From what I used to read about people like Blink 182, green day, new found glory etc it was all JCM marshalls and Mesa's. Basically metal amps not cranked, or whatever they could find.

+1 for the SD-1 in front love that combo, I also like the DS-2.

I don't know what the marshall pedals are like if i'm honest, but it might be worth trying one!

• Members

Rat -> clean amp has been used for some relatively well known tones. Thrice has used it, and IIRC Refused on The Shape of Punk to Come.

I think The Shape of Punk to Come was just an AC30 dimed. No overdrive. Though, I got that information from the amp forum, so take that as you will.

Archived