Universal Audio UAD-1 Ultra Pak

• Members

Anyone use these? I`m considering purchasing this card.

Seems to get great reviews on the Sweetwater site.

Price is right since the debut of UAD-2, but if you've got a PCIe slot (I don't" You make as well go all-in and get a UAD-2.

The UAD plugins are outstanding. Since I can't get a UAD-2 with my current DAW, I am always tempted by the used UAD-1s going for as little as $125!

• Members

BTW, trying to figure out exactly which G5 you have can be very confusing; the most reliable way is to look for the model number on the back, which should be something like "M9590LL/A". Then you can get all your specs for that model at everymac.com.

• Members

Universal Audio has the analog emulation thing down if that's what you want. Magpel is right, the UAD-2 is worth the extra bucks (five times the power of the UAD-1 IIRC) but you do need a PCIe slot.

What he said. :thu:

• Members

I recently bought the UAD-2 duo.

I dont generally use a very high track count.

However, i ve already had some songs consume about 60%+ of my DSP resources runninng a number of the UAD plugs.

Its clear to me that a sinle UAD1 will run out of gas for many folks.

Of course you could freeze tracks to deal with this.

However, that isn't a very efficient workflow.

What I like is not having to guess on the right amount of compression going in. Nor do I have to experience a round of DA/AD conversions to compress or apply an effect. These are the first ITB single track compressors that I'm feeling good about. (1176, F' Child, LA2A).

Good luck

• Members

Honestly, the price change is large so I may just pick up the UAD-1 for now.

I don't think this is a bad idea at all, as long as you have other bread and butter plugins that you really like. Just using comps and EQs, you'll run out of UAD bandwidth after 7 or 8 plugs--to say nothing of their reverbs (The Plate Reverb is f*cking great, the others ho-hum--you don't go UAD for verbs; you go, simply enough, for comps and EQs). If you've alreay got some Waves or something, you're all set to introduce UAD as a special flavor.

but you might want to consider the Flexi-Pack if you can find it anymore--you get the card, the basic set (which is nothing special) and a 500 dollar voucher for the online store which is where all the special plugs live.

UAD are the proverbial schoolyard crack dealers--they've got a great product, and they run monthly specials and discounts--sometimes offering substantial savings--to keep buying. Sometimes you get ridiculous deals. a 25 dollar coupon during compressor discount month, for example, got me the La2a for 25 bucks or something.

Archived